Sign in to follow this  

California Anyone here night ride?

I might like to get out once or twice a month to do a night loop around Rowher or other local stuff.  I have a BD Squadron Pro setup on my 450, and I have a some good lights I use for mountain biking that I can rig up on my full face.  Thinking of getting an extended life battery for the helmet light for this purpose.  

All my riding buddies seem sketched out by doing moto night rides, even though we sometimes ride way more gnarly MTB stuff at night, but whatever.  Anyone else here into it?  Or is this really just a retarded idea?

• Like 2

I might like to get out once or twice a month to do a night loop around Rowher or other local stuff.  I have a BD Squadron Pro setup on my 450, and I have a some good lights I use for mountain biking that I can rig up on my full face.  Thinking of getting an extended life battery for the helmet light for this purpose.  

All my riding buddies seem sketched out by doing moto night rides, even though we sometimes ride way more gnarly MTB stuff at night, but whatever.  Anyone else here into it?  Or is this really just a retarded idea?

It's been a few years but I really like night rides. I too have a BD Squadron. It allows me to ride the really cool trails at night. Right here in Orange County.

100B3150.jpg

100_3381.jpg

Edited by ballisticexchris

Well yeah, for the bay area, that's about the only way to get in decent mtb riding except for Santa Cruz.

Bandit, what area are those trails in?

Night riding is awesome! You can see upcoming traffic easier so no worries about headons with oncoming traffic. And it's usually just you and the sound of your bike purring into the night without any distractions of daylight. You can also get lucky and see animals that only come out at night like deers and such.

Well yeah, for the bay area, that's about the only way to get in decent mtb riding except for Santa Cruz.

Bandit, what area are those trails in?

This a dual sport ride near Sonora, CA

I tried it.. I saw death that night

That was totally the lights fault. I cant believe it did that to you.

OP I am down to night ride but nowhere near the bay area...closer to Mehksicko.

This a dual sport ride near Sonora, CA

I live in Sonora. Where was this?

Night riding is the best.  As noted above you have far more warning when others are coming towards you.  Even blind corners are far safer because you can see the oncoming glow.  My son is 15 and we probably do half of our riding at night.  I like the peace of mind knowing that I can look back and see his light an in an instant I know where he is and if he is moving.  Most of the time I can just see my own shadow in his light and don't have to look back.  Things get black fast though if there is no helmet light and those should always be run off a battery rather than wired into the bike so if you go down at least your not in the complete dark.  Where I live it's almost the only way I can ride desert in the summer.  Would ride night all year long except that in the winter it starts getting a little cold and wearing jackets suck. 

• Like 1