Sign in to follow this  

Knee pads, why do they have shin guards?

Boots have shin guards, why are they doubled up?  

and does anyone know of a good pair of knee pads that don't have shin guards, or pants with good knee protection (even better!)?

I ride trails, not mx.

Just wondering, I did a search and seems most people tuck the shin guard into the boot.  I've always rode with them outside the boot and my pants (probably to some laughter) but it feels weird to have shin guards inside my boots.

I'd also like to know. Gets a little bulky in the boot when it's cold and you're wearing jeans, Riding pants and shin guards all tucked in the boot. I hate riding without my knee pads. Went riding once without them this summer and sure as shit I wiped out in a river and banged my knee on a rock. Not impressed that day. Also I hug the bike tight with my legs/knees. The sides of my knees get sore without them

Edited by coryf89
  • Like 1

I've asked the same question myself. It seems like the proverbial "Belt and suspenders". Modern boots have substantial protection in the shin area.  I looked on Chapmoto.com and found one pair by Troy Lee designs that's called a short knee pad. See the attached photo. 

TL5261-0207.jpg

For us tall long legged guys, who have a gap from top of boots to knees!

Yup, the last pair I had stopped about a half inch or so from the top or my SG10s, they were slightly shorter than normal conpared to a buddys. No way I would ever want them inside my boots though, especially with jeans or anything besides my mx pants.

I wear mine where you're supposed to, under my riding pants.  The shin guard part helps keep them locked in to the boot so they don't move around.  

• Like 4

What I do is cut away all the stitching on the lower shin guards and just keep,the knee cup. I get rid of the plastic shin guard so it's less bulk in the boot. I have really big calfs so all the thickness in the boot sucks.

I agree. I too don't like the integrated shin guard but I do like to have some sort of hyperextension protection.  I have the old style Alpinestars Bionic SX knee guards which have a pretty thin shin guard.  I like the idea of the Troy Lee Designs 875 Ultra Knee Supports as it has minimal shin coverage and hyperextension protection but it does not have a knee cup.

To the original poster, look into various mountain biking/dirt jumping knee guards.  Many of them do not have integrated shin guards.

I don't really understand why my Thor knee/shin guards are built the way they are....the knee pad is attached with snaps, so you can remove the knee pad from the shin bit....but that leaves you with no way to attach the knee pad, as the two velcro straps are on the shin portion :huh:

who wants shin guards with no knee protection? soccer players?

I never liked the shin guards either and my boots wouldn't close with them.  I have some old (over 10 years) MSR knee pads that don't have shin guards that I searched long and hard for.  I just searched to see if they are still available because mine are worn out but they aren't.  Bummer.  I'll let you guys know what I find.

Found the ones I will be buying.  EVS Glider Knee pads.  No shin pad attached and has a good hard plastic knee cap protector.  They also have a light version with a rubber knee cap cover.  Price is good too at $44.95 on RockyMountainATVMC.com.

nice find 4sevens! I wonder if they'd end of chaffing?

I've gone down and took a rock to my kneecap before too, and it does not feel good. I also feel like I go faster when I know I'm well protected.  I might look to taking the bottom plastic off a normal pair, makes sense that it being longer and in the boot helps keep it in place, just doesn't need the extra plastic.  

Maybe I'll sew some into the pants!