Sign in to follow this  

Should I buy 2000 yz250?

So I was on Craigslist and found this yz250 and was just wondering what everyone's opinion was?https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcy/5313547280.html

Says it's one of the very rare automatic transmissions... Hahaha.

$1000 is cheap and could make for a good flip if you could get it down a few more. Otherwise, it is a more than fair price if it runs/shifts and you want to keep it for yourself. Too bad it's so far away, I'd buy it and flip it in no time. :thumbsup:

That's what I call "who cares" cheap. If you like the old YZs buy it but go into it with the idea that "everything" may have to be replaced. It will still be way cheaper than buying brand new...that's my mentality anyways.

OK, so I am going to go look at the bike sometime this week and was wondering if anyone had any tip on buying a bike? Right now i have a 2001 TTR-125-L and will be selling it if i do buy a new bike. how much should i ask for it?.......I was thinking something like $900.

If it runs, shifts and you don't see anything weird/broken, go for it.  But like someone said, no matter what the price is, try to talk the price down a little.  If you REALLY think you're gonna pull the trigger, do it quick!   Those kind of things don't sit too long and they're GONE.

• Like 1

I always find two or three things wrong as I'm looking at the bike.i will use that as leverage for negotiations. ..example it's going to need wheel bearings and a new front tire soon will you take 800 cash?" He might move a bit on price don't be afraid to point a few things out..good luck let us know.

• Like 1

Hello everyone! sorry it's been so long. i've been very busy over the holiday. So i went and bought the bike and i've had it for just over two weeks. So far i've rejetted, removed the flywheel weight, (just to see the difference) and pulled the head off just to check everything out. It has been an amazing bike so far! It's a great upgrade from the 125 and i love the two stroke. And i sold the 125 for $700. I thought that was a fair price.

I have not checked the compression let.......what should it be at? 

IMG_20151125_131947.jpgIMG_20151124_213021.jpgIMG_20151125_132135.jpg

That isn't a 2000, my best guess is that it is a 1998 or prior year.

He's correct.  Better check the VIN.  If you think you might have paid too much because the year was mis-represented, you have to decide what the next step is.

• Like 2

Thats kind of hard for anyone else to say.  On one side, you could say if it was mis-represented as newer, probably yes.  On the other side, you could say it runs great (only you know that's correct or not) and is in good condition and needs nothing, then it was fine. Again, you have to take it from there.  It MAY be worth it to talk to the seller, as him if he was aware it wasn't a 2000 and maybe he will be a good guy and cut a few dollars loose.

• Like 1

I don't think it is a deal breaker for a thousand dollar bike. I just wanted to point it out, just in case you have to order parts, so you get the correct parts. That era of bike had that engine and plastic from 1996-1998. In 1999, the bike got the new style engine. In 2000, the airbox color was changed and yamaha added a throttle position sensor to the keihin carburetor.....been through more of those engines than I can remember...

Being a deal breaker or not is a moot point  - He BOUGHT it already.  The question now is should he do something about the year mis-representation...

I was told the wrong year it was advised a 2001.not until I got home and checked the Vin did I find out it was a 2000. But it's definitely good to know when I'm ordering parts the correct year.

It always seems to go THAT way.  Have you ever heard someone buy a bike and when they got home, it was NEWER than advertised?

• Like 1