Sign in to follow this  

50 Mini Adventure Spark Plug Fiasco

Can anyone confirm the correct spark plug for a 2007 mini adventure? I bought the bike used and it had the B7HS plug shown in the attached image. The dealer says this is the correct plug, but multiple web sites (Chaparral, NGK themselves and others) as well as a couple KTM manuals found online specify BR8ECM.

As you can see, the photo shown very different lengths of both the insulator and threads. The caliper shown is at the depth from the plug boss to the piston at TDC. Looking down the cylinder head through the spark plug hole, it's obvious the B7HS is firing in the threaded bore, not in the chamber. Also the spark plug wire cap is damaged from being jammed up against the fuel tank, indicating the B7HS with it's taller insulator also may be wrong. Does anyone know what's going on here? Should I trust my mechanical intuition and documentation, or the previous owner and dealer?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I wouldn't go by the dealer. Could be a misprint in the catalogue. Call a KTM mechanic. He should know. Worst case scenario is measure the distance from the flat edge the spark plug sits against to the top of the piston with the motor at top dead center. Then measure the spark plug. If the one with longer threads is right it will still have clearance. If there is not enough clearance then it is the smaller one.

I think you are going to find that the shorter spark plug is wrong and is sitting up inside the head.

LOL, watch out of the first ride, that thing may actually run right, it will be a totally different bike, LOL.

The dealer would be the last source I'd believe. And a KTM mechanic would still have to look it up. The online parts houses must all use the same database, so it's not surprising that they would agree with each other. A KTM owners or shop manual would be the settling argument in my mind.

Is the 02 the same motor? I bought one recently from a good buddy for my son who is too young for it. Runs great, if it's the same motor I'll tell ya whats in mine tongight. 02 50 mini adventure, air cooled little monster. 

Squid Racer, yes I believe it may be the same motor and would love to know your spark plug number, please.

Thanks for your guys feedback, I think the dealer is wrong. Unfortunately the guy I bought it from must've used the same local shop. With this wrong plug, power is likely reduced which probably contributed to him tinkering with the clutch, which I just discovered is shot. The wrong plug also damaged the plug boot and causes the fuel tank to teeter totter. I wonder if running a plug without a resistor caused damage to the coil.... All this due to a wrong plug!

Can anyone confirm the correct spark plug for a 2007 mini adventure? I bought the bike used and it had the B7HS plug shown in the attached image. The dealer says this is the correct plug, but multiple web sites (Chaparral, NGK themselves and others) as well as a couple KTM manuals found online specify BR8ECM.

As you can see, the photo shown very different lengths of both the insulator and threads. The caliper shown is at the depth from the plug boss to the piston at TDC. Looking down the cylinder head through the spark plug hole, it's obvious the B7HS is firing in the threaded bore, not in the chamber. Also the spark plug wire cap is damaged from being jammed up against the fuel tank, indicating the B7HS with it's taller insulator also may be wrong. Does anyone know what's going on here? Should I trust my mechanical intuition and documentation, or the previous owner and dealer?

br8ecm same as i see on microfische

Check out page 1123: there's a disclaimer stating that Parts Unlimited is not responsible for any errors in their catalog, and there's no contact information for them anywhere to tell them about the error!

I won't be using Parts Unlimited any time soon!

my son's bike calls for a BR8ECM.  We use a BR7ES in it since it's $2 vs $14.   "ECM" just means the outside insulator is shorter.  My guess is that "B7HS" is supposed to be "B7ES".  Try that one.