2016 yz250x compression and squish test result

From my reading and experience I know that an overly large squish can contribute to detonation. It has to do with "boundary layer cooling" and other like factors. Detonation is not only caused by high compression or too tight squish.

Some text taken from a two stroke engineering book

"In a perfect head design, the fuel mixture in this very thin squish-band is greatly cooled by nearby surfaces of the piston crown and head.  If the squish clearance is too thick, the cooling of these end gases is not sufficient to keep them from exploding, and so they become the source of detonation."

I like and understand Yamahas logic in lowering compression on this X endure/trail/GNCC type model - compared to a YZ - but the way it went about it leaves a bit to be desired

Riles, kindly take me through. What is the indicative squish clearance of today's YZ250's? 1.8 mm to 2.0 mm?

I heard some of the members here had their squish corrected anywhere from 1.15 - 1.3 mm (or 0.045-0.055 inch).

Thanks for the heads up

• 4 weeks later...

dussucker3000, Yes, quite a few times. I've been trying various jetting Combinations. I do like how it runs with the head modified. It has all the qualities of a tighter squish gap and it's easier to jet. As mentioned the PSI or compression is only a touch more than standard. On my other two strokes you can feel the difference that .5mm makes, well this head had just over 1mm taken off (and volume modified) so you can really notice it. Nice even idle, very crisp through the range. No spooge even with a large pilot (I tried smaller but went back to a 50) It still has that X wide spread of torque which makes it such a nice engine. I run the standard pipe and muffler.

With float height adjusted 1mm lower, a rejet and the head mod it now gets 20km more out of a tank. 85 compared to 65.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Riles, 

I have also had my head set up very similar to yours and generally run at sea level, what needle and main did you end up with? 

I tried the Suzuki needles as I had a lot of success on a couple of other 2ts I set up, but found the n3 needles to be better on the yz250x.