Sign in to follow this  

Notchy steering

Yeah first things first took the head stem bearing off but it looks pretty good apart from a small amount of pitting and marks on the bottom bearing cup, I don't think it's

enough to make it as bad as it was

New ones are only $60 delivered but I don't have a press so it would be good if anyone thinks they are alright

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447650693.336134.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447650617.699687.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447650659.736187.jpg

Apart from the pitting and discoloration, do you feel any cupping in the top/bottom bearing races?

On my bike despite no damages to the races, the steering does feels notchy as well when the ring nut is over-tightened.

Are you following the right reassembly procedure?

the 'ring' nut (between the frame and the top triple clamp) only requires about 5 ft/lb or torque,

the 'stem' nut (on top of the triple clamp) usualy requires close to 100 ft/lb.

Even if the ring nut initialy feels loose, once you torque down the stem nut the free play tightens up.

I tighten the ring nut by 'feel' so that once fully reassembled there is no radial play felt while pushing/pulling from the bottom of the forks

but not tight enough that it feels notchy when turning from side to side. Takes a few trials and errors to get it right.

Edited by mlatour

I haven't put any of it back together yet but yeah I noticed it does get notchy when you tighten in so I'll try leave it to what I want, and yeah I have my manual with me aswell looking at it

Grease it up good and put it back together. I always have ran mine tight. Kind of a poor mans steering stabilzer.

If you decide to replace the bearing races all you need is a long punch and a hammer to take them out. On reinstall I use a bearing/seal driver kit. I got my at a local auto parts store it was around 20.00. Or u can use a socket that fits on outside race.

I just put it back in for now and it's all smooth. Playing around with that nut to get the right tension is frustrating, then realised I didn't have all my handlebar cables in front of the triple! Jesus that annoyed me

• Like 1

That bearing is finished and it wont last , very easy to remove and reinstall , dont need a press. 

Yeah I was more talking about the press for the roller bearings if I was going to replace them. Thanks for the heads up shawn. It's summer almost here so I won't be doing much riding and I'll just replace before the start of next season with my linkage bearings

I don't understand what you mean by press for the roller bearings?  

Typically the hard part is removing, and then reinstalling the bearing races (What you actually took pics of). 

You don't need a press to install the races. They make fancy tools to do it, but it can be done and done well with simple hand tools and some patience.

Had I done all the work to remove the triple clamps I would have replaced the bearings for sure. They are not too spendy. 

A $20 propane torch and a freezer will make installing the races a ton easier.   Freeze the races, and then right before the install heat up the neck where the race sits. 

Use the old races to help drive home the new races. 

Are you worried about installing the bottom bearing onto the steering stem?  It can be done with a piece of PVC typically, but even then you could just take the bottom tripple to a shop with a press and have them press it on. Won't take but a few minutes. 

Edited by THEMANRACING

I was talking about using a press to get the shaft with the lower bearing on it off, if I was to replace the whole lot. The races are fine I can get them off easy

What I do is use an angle grinder and cut through the bottom bearing , you just need to be very careful not to cut the shaft, also dont need to go all the way through the bearing , give it a hard knock and it will normally crack where its cut and come off. 

Can freeze the triple clamp and use a pipe the same diameter as the smallest part of the bearing to knock it on so you dont damage the rollers. 

• Like 1

Using the method that Shawn250 described above,

you can also use a Dremel tool or a die grinder with a mini cut-off / grinding wheel to carefuly cut through any bearings or races to be removed.

I did something like what was described without using a press.  There are some really good video's I watched when I did my bike on youtube.  

Yeah first things first took the head stem bearing off but it looks pretty good apart from a small amount of pitting and marks on the bottom bearing cup, I don't think it's

enough to make it as bad as it was

New ones are only $60 delivered but I don't have a press so it would be good if anyone thinks they are alright

📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447650693.336134.jpg

📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447650617.699687.jpg📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447650659.736187.jpg

the races and bearings are junk , replace them and use a good quality grease like maxima or a water proof type. Whenever they're marks on the race it means slight indentations of wear on both race and bearings. The fact that you felt it means how bad it is under load.