Sign in to follow this  

Thinking about buying a Chevy Colorado?

I wanted another mid size after totaling my Dakota. Waited for the CO to arrive and disappointed. Interior is very narrow and uncomfortable if big or tall. Feet are confined to a narrow space, would be bad for a long trip. Worst thing for me is the very high rear end, KTM stinkbuggy like.  Body sets up very high on the frame and looks strange. This also makes loading difficult for no good reason. Last thing is the gas mileage is barely better than a full size with the 5.3 and you lose all the benefit of the larger more comfortable truck. Fail in my mind.

Edited by YHGEORGE

Too bad they don't make a reg cab anymore. I have an 05 Colorado 4cyl manual 2wd. 25mpg with bike and gear perfect transport rig. Can't say much about the new ones but the 16 diesel option seems like a pretty solid bet.

Too bad they don't make a reg cab anymore. I have an 05 Colorado 4cyl manual 2wd. 25mpg with bike and gear perfect transport rig. Can't say much about the new ones but the 16 diesel option seems like a pretty solid bet.

I'm waiting for the Diesel this summer.  only 3k more.  It will get 40mpg on the highway   Yeeeeew

I'm waiting for the Diesel this summer.  only 3k more.  It will get 40mpg on the highway   Yeeeeew

If only they made a real "mini" truck with a 4cyl diesel. Maybe in another 100k I can swap a new diesel in to my first gen!!

I have been looking hard at the Nissan Frontier. It is the perfect size for me. The only drawback with it and the Tacoma is poor gas mileage in comparison to the full size trucks. Just not as good as it should be for the smaller, lighter trucks. What to do---what to do.

I have been looking hard at the Nissan Frontier. It is the perfect size for me. The only drawback with it and the Tacoma is poor gas mileage in comparison to the full size trucks. Just not as good as it should be for the smaller, lighter trucks. What to do---what to do.

Don't you tow stuff?..

I can tell you that the frontier will get better mileage than your Tahoe especially if you don't want or need a 4x4. My 2012 frontier crew cab with 4x4 got 17mpg all day long around town and 19-20 on the highway. For realistic numbers for a non car/crossover that's about as good as you're going to get. And the Nissan is much much cheaper than the Toyota or Chevy and the simpler and proven engine and platform is rock solid. Sure it's not flashy but damn I loved that truck and if we didn't get a 26ft camper I'd still have it. My wife has an xterra which is basically the same and she loves it.

garce, did you have any issues with the bike in that little short bed? I was thinking I would need the x-tra cab with the longer bed. My big issue with the Frontier is price, just can't find a deal. I can get a Silverado for not much more and in my area and it will have much better resale. But I just don't want a big truck.  About the mpg, you probably won't believe this but I get the same mileage as you in my Tahoe. I am a conservative driver. Thanks for your input.

The bikes would have to go straight in because the wheel wells were towards the from of the cab but they have a really sweet tie down system and the back bed extender all come standardImageUploadedByThumper Talk1449532028.938683.jpg

I will say I've had 05 Silverado 08 Sierra and now a '14 ram as the frontier had plenty of interior room and I think it drove the best. Much more maneuverable size and a tight and solid ride definitely my top favorite truck of the bunch

Local dealer has an xtra cab with the long bed but it has the 4cyl. I want the six. Dealers are STUPID and only order crew cabs with the six.

Edited by YHGEORGE