Sign in to follow this  

Urban Exploring?

Does anyone ever hit some not-so-legal trails in residential areas? I do occasionally.... You ride along and see a dirt walking trail and hey it tempts you right?

Anyone ever been caught doing this? I live in California and was wondering what the fine or charge is for something like this.... I've been caught before (3 days after getting my permit) as I stayed too long. The 2 cops that stopped us were cool and pretty much said don't get caught or do it in another city so they don't have to deal with it. The third cop turned out to be the bikes PO's uncle who dislikes him and to my disadvantage the bike was still in his name. The other cops let us go before he could do anything though... So anyone been fined for this?

Video of getting pulled over:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BUvzzRlrSE

Edited by MoreBassXD

ive lived long enough to see them systematically 'close down' more and more areas to off roading .. things used to be much more open to the public, but as they shut areas down i always rode in i would continue to go into until caught several times .. never got busted myself always played the 'i didnt know' card, but eventually watched people get their vehicles impounded and fined ect, and lord help you if anything like vandalism or arson occurred in the area recently, ive heard horror stories about people getting hung with really bad things ..

• Like 2

ive lived long enough to see them systematically 'close down' more and more areas to off roading .. things used to be much more open to the public, but as they shut areas down i always rode in i would continue to go into until caught several times .. never got busted myself always played the 'i didnt know' card, but eventually watched people get their vehicles impounded and fined ect, and lord help you if anything like vandalism or arson occurred in the area recently, ive heard horror stories about people getting hung with really bad things ..

I just find it stupid that public land would be illegal to go on. People will take their motorized scooter or motorized bicycle on those trails, so why can't I take my bike going the same speed on it just because i have a plate and a bigger motor? I want to see the scenery just the same. I'm not flying around putting others at risk like its a motocross track.

Although in the video I may have been going s bit fast trying to keep up with my buddy..... He does it a lot more than I and likes to book it though there

Edited by MoreBassXD

I'm in the same dilemma, also live in urban area.  Being street legal is nice, I often resort to dirt roads & gravel pits or whatever I can find without disturbing anyone.

Not really much to explore without running into private land or a gun wielding farmer !  :eek:  Uhh yeah...me & my buddy just about defecated ourselves !  :busted:  :huh:   :moon:  :ride:

Yeah, 'hi-tailed' it right the f-ck out or there !!  :excuseme:  Although we were totally un aware that we were trespassing, we realized it real quick though.  :thinking:  :facepalm:

Ok, horses...sometimes (just like us riders), they're not always in the proper area(s).  I've seen horse riders on designated ORV trails more than once.

They get 'spooked' easily, horse rider usually frantically motions for me to stop & kill the engine.  And I do so immediately just for respect of 'sharing the land' & causing injury

to horse &,or it's rider.

I also suggest staying off walking trails, you're asking for trouble.  One time, years ago I was riding around the local park and all the sudden

was being chased by what seemed like the whole police force !   I didn't stick around to see what they wanted.   :lol:  :lol:

• Like 4

With the amount of cameras around anymore, and the highly litigous and paranoid society we live in, you can't really do things like this anymore. Everything is monitored by cameras. Welcome to Big Brother.

• Like 2

every time i run into a gate or a sign saying closed to all motorized vehicles i look at my buddies and say " thats not meant for everyone just the general public". They look at me dumbfounded and we just keep on going.

nicko

• Like 2

Every where I ride is Illegal, only 2 places to ride legally in the state and they both pretty much suck. Fine is minimum $75 no trespassing or full confiscation if they catch you.

Edited by DrD
  • Like 3

every time i run into a gate or a sign saying closed to all motorized vehicles i look at my buddies and say " thats not meant for everyone just the general public". They look at me dumbfounded and we just keep on going.

nicko

If you don't like the way I'm riding, stay the f-ck off the sidewalk !... :lol:  :thumbsup:  :ph34r:

• Like 4

This pisses me off more than anything!! If they don't give people places to ride and enjoy these kinds of vehicles, what do they expect?

Where do they think people are going to go? Do they think we are just going to stop riding? Screw them! If you don't want us to ride here, give us a reasonable place to go!

Just more revenue for the state. Man, don't get me started!   :rant:

• Like 3

Tree huggers have found their political voice, and want to socially engineer your behavior with land use legislation.  As much as I hate political double talk, you have to step into their court and play to win.

Most folks here are independent, don't feel the need to congregate at a caffeine cafe and commiserate the loss of a parasitic snail.  Rather see them harvest brown snakes in Guam.

• Like 3

Here in the evergreen state, 39% of the states population lives between the neighboring king and snohomish counties. This is also the area of the state with the greatest density of licensed off road vehicles. The awesome part is that there are NO off road vehicle parks in either King or Snohomish county. This leaves limited multi use land, private property or trespassing as the viable options. It just makes me wonder where my licensing fees are going because they dont seem to be funding any riding areas near the majority of riders.

Sorry for the rant.

• Like 4

I got caught in a state park on a fire road. The area was posted for recreational use. I received a written warning for driving past a road closed sign "because I know that it has been torn down" is what the cop said. And a $250 fine for damaging state lands by motor vehicle. Cop then tried to threaten me and a buddy by saying "do not go to court or I will recommend jail time for you" so I went to court fine ended up being dropped by the judge just had to pay $265 in court and state attorney fees. And this was a place that was open to the public for "recreational use".

we've been riding in my buddies fields that HIS parents own. The house next to us complained for noise and the cop said if we got another complaint our bikes would be impounded.

For thanksgiving break we went to Ohio and my dad showed me where he rode growing up. It's a $400 fine for riding there now

I got caught in a state park on a fire road. The area was posted for recreational use. I received a written warning for driving past a road closed sign "because I know that it has been torn down" is what the cop said. And a $250 fine for damaging state lands by motor vehicle. Cop then tried to threaten me and a buddy by saying "do not go to court or I will recommend jail time for you" so I went to court fine ended up being dropped by the judge just had to pay $265 in court and state attorney fees. And this was a place that was open to the public for "recreational use".

Glad you took it to court. You still paid but the satisfaction of taking the cop up on his threat was worth something.

we've been riding in my buddies fields that HIS parents own. The house next to us complained for noise and the cop said if we got another complaint our bikes would be impounded.

For thanksgiving break we went to Ohio and my dad showed me where he rode growing up. It's a $400 fine for riding there now

Private land. The can complain all they want. Unless there is a noise ordinance you can make all the noise you want at any time with in reason and they cannot take your bike or even give you a fine. I think you are being pushed around and would look into it before you stop using the land.