Sign in to follow this  

Fixing Cold start problems

This is just an informational thread for those that have issues starting their bike cold.

So to start off, my buddy bought an xr400 with a 440 big bore and from the time they bought it struggled to ever get it started. He figured it was carb tuning and had a shop install and tune a pumper carb for it (because why not?). Got it back and still couldn't start it. Once we pop started it, it ran amazing and was a great bike. Once warmed up it would start first kick every time.

I figured maybe the valves and what not had not been adjust in a long time so we hopped on it. Neither of us had ever done valves on a bike before (I come from a car mechanical background) and it took us about 40 minutes in total. The first two valves we checked were over .05mm out of spec so decided to just adjust them all without even checking where they were starting at.

With the valves set we pulled it outside and it starts 1st or 2nd kick every time. Pretty happy on getting that straight as it is a great bike and I can't wait for him to daily it.... When I took it around the block it would pull up 3rd gear without me trying to. It is one badass machine

The pumpers make for easy starting in the cold. When I had mine, I would do one throttle twist and roll the engine over a few revs then bring it to TDC, then kick. Light every time, even below freezing. Great cold starter. 

The pumpers make for easy starting in the cold. When I had mine, I would do one throttle twist and roll the engine over a few revs then bring it to TDC, then kick. Light every time, even below freezing. Great cold starter.

I've always been taught to never touch throttle when starting a kick started bike. So the pumper doesn't do anything for me. I just kick like 3 times slowly to pull a little gas in so the pumper doesn't really help me. Whatever work for you is great though!