Sign in to follow this  

1983xr500r

Hello l recently got an '83 xr500r and want to make a cafe racer. Does anyone know of a cool fuel tank that will fit the frame relatively easily? I'm way new to this, any suggestions welcome. Greeting by the way

Duke, Australia

Thanks mate. I didn't really want to go to that trouble. Surely there's a bike tank that will clear the frame that I can just slip on???

This is a budget build. Do ya know if Honda CB series road tanks will clear the frame??

Good luck finding anyone that knows what gas tank is going to fit your frame.  ;)

I've seen a few flat track setup Xr's that used a CR tank but nothing is going to just slip on.  :)

I have an XR and a CB. The tank rubbers up front are different diameters. The CB attaches with a dual slotted rubber thingy and the XR bolts on. you could measure the width between the tank rubbers for each one, that will be the limiting factor for you. You could interchange the rubbers themselves so the diameters are correct, but you would have to widen or make narrower the underside of the tank to accommodate the potential difference in frame widths. also length from rear mount to front rubbers will likely be different. For a cafe look, get a 79 xr tank. they are metal and look sweet, attach no problem.