Sign in to follow this  

Flat track build project

Hi guys

I'm thinking of a future project after my current build is finnished. Down the pub the other night the idea of building a flat tracker for the road came up and I just wanted to harvest some knowledge before I jump in and potentially start something I can't finish. I've been a casual fan of flat track and always liked the bikes.

Initially I'm thinking of using a ktm 520 (probably an exc). As I've owned a KTM before, so I have a fair bit of knowledge already and also fancied owning another.

Can anyone either stop me now if I'm looking at the wrong bike and point me in the right direction. Also, what work would I need to do to start converting the frame?

Thank you very much

I think they run the frame fairly stock, especially if it's just for the road. Probably change or modify the subframe to fit a FT seat and tank.

19" wheels and raise the fork tubes in the triples, or sometimes I see people put a sport bike front end on, like an R6 or something. maybe a lowering link in the shock or a different shock.

That would be a sweet bike for ripping around town on!

• Like 1

Thanks crc15. Shorter sports bike forks is a good idea.

I've been trying to compare the difference in fork geometry between flat trackers and enduro/mx bikes and can't quite work out if the steering head has the fork legs at a different angle and bring the front wheel closer to the frame. Probably not worth the bother though seeing as it's only going on the road.

Thanks for your input, it's very much appreciated.

With 19" wheels we shortened the forks about 3". Also stiffer to deal with the extra traction.

Continental used to make a narrow front and a wide front/narrow rear. It worked better than the wide rear for a 3.5" wheel. As dirt bikes are not made to deal with the wider tires and get bad chain rub.

If you take a 19" rear rim and lace it up front a conti narrow front fits perfect. Then buy a 2.75 ish 19" and lace it as your new rear rim.

Edited by slotracer577
  • Like 1