Sign in to follow this  

front forks

have any of you put the racetech springs in the front forks then later added the gold valves? I would like to know how much each helped the front end. I just put racetech G3 on the back and what a improvement.  Thanks

have any of you put the racetech springs in the front forks then later added the gold valves? I would like to know how much each helped the front end. I just put racetech G3 on the back and what a improvement.  Thanks

I have not but, I have done a ton of research to understand suspension and how it works. The valving in my opinion is just as if not more important than spring rate. Depending on your specific situation.... I would think just the valves would be better than just the springs ...  :excuseme:

I would also say since you have the rear shock and if you are impressed/satisfied with that .... doing spring and valves is the right way to do the forks. Compared to the rear shock ... the forks are cheap ...  :thumbsup:   and is just as much of an improvement. 

The full Race Tech setup totally transforms this bike and I would say even moves it up a class in the dual sport arena ...  :ride:  You will benefit from it very much as I see you are in Colorado and most likely have some awesome trails up there to explorer. 

When I did mine I simply shipped my forks off to California and let Race Tech do the build. It does cost a little more but I felt is was worth it.  I think at the time I did mine it was about $300 and I paid freight . 

There are a couple very excellent RaceTech dedicated shops in CO. Do your homework.

oops my bad .... I should have also mentioned that....   :thumbsup:   

For me ... they were a couple hours drive so I just shipped mine. And for some reason I just wanted to send them in. 

Motovate Racing
description
Services: Dirt, ATV, Street, Touring 

Address: 

0705 S. Cedar Springs Ranch Rd. 

Rifle, CO 81650 

Phone: 970-456-2678 

Email: motovate76@sopris.net,bob@motovateracing.com

Edited by gnath9

There are a couple very excellent RaceTech dedicated shops in CO. Do your homework.

I do not recall asking for a racetech shop in Denver......read my question!

I do not recall asking for a racetech shop in Denver......read my question!

We have a tendency around here to get off track after nobody responds to your specific question ....  :shocked:   

I believe hockyrick may have installed springs only at some point before he swapped forks but, I am not 100% sure. 

I personally think springs only will make the front bouncy but again ... that is just my opinion and not proven facts. 

May I ask why you want to try springs only at first ? 

Think of just doing the fork spring as adding a stiffer spring to the stock rear shock instead of replacing the shock.  It'd be stiffer and the damping will still suck.

The spring just corrects the spring rate, the gold valve kit is what makes the fork work correctly just like the replacement shock did for the rear.

The key to a properly handling bike is correct balanced spring rates and shock/fork valving that compliment each other.

• Like 1

We have a tendency around here to get off track after nobody responds to your specific question ....  :shocked:   

I believe hockyrick may have installed springs only at some point before he swapped forks but, I am not 100% sure. 

I personally think springs only will make the front bouncy but again ... that is just my opinion and not proven facts. 

May I ask why you want to try springs only at first ? 

The reason I am asking this is because the front is no where near as bad as the rear was. I am going to do the springs and valves I am just wondering. I understand all about dampening and have rebuild 100's if not 1000's of forks.

• Like 1

The reason I am asking this is because the front is no where near as bad as the rear was. I am going to do the springs and valves I am just wondering. I understand all about dampening and have rebuild 100's if not 1000's of forks.

Oh good to know ....  :thumbsup:   and I agree that the front is no where near as bad as the rear. How does it feel with just the rear shock ? and since you can build your own maybe just trying out the springs ain't a bad idea for you. The stock front does seem to dive real easy and while I was not riding super hard or fast I had no problem bottoming the stock forks. 

I put new suspension under mine right away at 400 miles mainly based on the rear as it felt it was just all over the place in the dirt. One of the first things I noticed after getting the full suspension was that the bike felt much lighter off road as that "boaty" feeling was gone and I could catch some air with confidence ... 

I bought this bike mainly to ride trails with my boy and my initial plan was to buy a CRF250X but I am not a young man anymore and thought I could build a Dual Sport and have a good time on it and still be able to ride it on the street. 

I guess it really comes down to how hard you ride and what you expect from the bike ....   please let us know what you decide and your thoughts ...  :cheers:

• Like 1