Sign in to follow this  

Master Link Pliers

Do master link pliers exist for removing and installing master links on mx bikes?

You see them for mountain bikes but not sure they'd work because of differences in chain size.

The only real difference is one tip is shorter.

0000-Motion-Pro-Master-Link-Pliers----MC

• Like 2

Reg. Pliers for removing link. To install, you actually wrap the last part around the groove. Put one half in the groove and use pliers to pick other half up and over the pin to position in groove. Hard to explain, but easy once you see what im talking about.

Yup they exist.

95CF.jpg

LOL!

Thanks for advice on removing without buying new kit, will give it another go tomorrow..........although I do like an excuse for new tools!!!!!!!

To remove the clip, I put one face of the pliers on the pin and the other on both tabs on the open end of the clip. Just give it a squeeze and it will pop right off. I reinstall the same way, only putting the pliers on the closed loop side to get it on.

The best one and I've used it for 20 years. Snap On Tools flat nose pliers. Just try and find a truck

• Like 1

i use a flat blade screwdriver and a hammer.

Yep - I have the master link on the top of the rear sprocket with the bike in gear. Then go in at an angle and give the open end of the clip a little love tap.

I have used all mentioned methods .Then to make the $100 free shipping at rockymnt I ordered the masterlink pliers. Well worth the money

• Like 1

I use one of them wire-twist-um-up plier things:

DSC03311_zps7c9cd4b6.jpg

I think it ell hold? I love it! Some guys are so creative...

The only real difference is one tip is shorter.

0000-Motion-Pro-Master-Link-Pliers----MC

Pretty cool, I am firm believer of if you don't have the right tools for the job, get them to do the job right. Seriously though, take any pair of pliers and grind an 1/8 off one leg of it and you've just made your own custom master link pliers. I never even considered or thought about if they even existed, I'll make my own after seeing this post. Will make the job that much easer even though I never really had an issue getting a master link on or off with standard pliers.

• Like 1

Pretty cool, I am firm believer of if you don't have the right tools for the job, get them to do the job right. Seriously though, take any pair of pliers and grind an 1/8 off one leg of it and you've just made your own custom master link pliers. I never even considered or thought about if they even existed, I'll make my own after seeing this post. Will make the job that much easer even though I never really had an issue getting a master link on or off with standard pliers.

Exactly.  I went to HF, picked up a pair of linemans pliers for a buck or 2 and did just that.

• Like 2