Sign in to follow this  

XR 250 Carb slide sticking

I recently found a 1997 XR 250 that was in very good shape and a decent price. After a few weeks sitting in the garage, I decided it was time to go try it out. Filled the tank, turned the gas on and it was flowing through the overflow on the carb.

Pulled the carb to clean it out and check the float. This is when I noticed the throttle mechanism was really tight from about 1/4 open to full open. When fully open it was really tight and hard to close. Figured it was just super dirty. Anyway, after taking it apart and cleaning it out with carb cleaner and brushes... still really tight. I hit it with some 600 grit sandpaper to make sure there was no more gunk I didn't catch and this helped loosen it a little bit, but it still doesn't move freely and sticks anytime it's more than about 1/4 open. Could definitely cause some unwanted problems out riding.

So my question is... do I keep sanding until it moves freely? What would cause this? The slide itself is super clean and smooth and so is the cylinder now.

I would bet your fuel coming out of the vent hose is due to a bad float needle. I don't see any harm in sanding. If your slide has rubber wheels those could have expanded/deformed due to age or exposure to carb cleaner.

Thanks for the reply mr.motor. After I cleaned out the float bowl, etc the float valve now works as expected. I think it was a piece of fuel line that got lodged in there. I had to change them because of deterioration.

No rubber on the slide. Could the carb body itself have warped due to overheating or something? Guess I'll just keep sanding until it moves freely.

Trailryder, don't see any bends in the needle. In fact, when the slide is the most "stuck" at the very top, the needle isn't even touching anything.

Glad to hear your carb is no longer overflowing! This situation is puzzling. It could have expanded, but that seems really unlikely. If your needle isn't the issue, I would check the grooves in the slide and cylinder, make sure there the grooves are smooth, clean, and straight. If they are, maybe apply a light lubricant and keep sanding. A stuck open throttle is bad news

Trailryder, thought about that too, but even when the linkage is completely disconnected and free.. same issue. Slide is really hard to move when fully open. Like when pulling the slide out... when it's all the way to the top, I have to give it a pretty good yank to just get it to come out.

mr.motor... that's all I can think to do is keep sanding. I'm stumped.

I'm assuming the binding you're still getting is with the carb uninstalled, and you're working the throttle drum by hand. While it's off the bike, rule out any binding problems throttle tube and with the cables and their routing.

Roll the drum on a flat surface and try to detect any out-of-round defect.

I wonder if someone has dropped the carb at some time.

Edited by Trailryder42

Yes, that's with the carb off the bike and moving it by hand.

I'll try rolling it to see if there are any defects. Otherwise, it's back to sanding or maybe ebay for a used one.