Sign in to follow this  

Looking for xr250 supermoto help

Hi everyone, i have a 94 xr250l ive had the bike for a little while now. Been fixing it up and am now getting to where i want to put it on the road.

Right now it has dot knobys on it and they need replacing. Fogured i would go supermoto with it and get a 18" wheel up front and keep the stock 18" in the rear.

Im not too advanced on messing with relacing rims but i can figure it out.

What im wanting to do since i dont want to fork on the cash for a complete set of sm wheel is relace a 18x2.15 rim to the front hub. I found a tusk rear wheel 18x2.15 36 hole rim. Is there anything else i should look out for? Will the holes be drilled at the correct angle for my hub? Looking to run 130 tires on it havent picked out a set yet though.

110 will be the widest you'll be able to use on a 2.15 rim, unless it has a huge sidewall, like a 90 or 100 or something you would be able to do a 130, but thats way wider than needed on the front end, 110 is what you'd find on 600cc sport bikes(only in a 16" rim dia). I've done the 18" front on my bike, relaced from some older 250 rear. i've been lacing BMX wheels up for some time so there wasn't so much hassle, but, it was still a deal to figure out the right spoke length and there was an issue because my rim came from a drum brake rear, you want a disc brake rear because of the spoke angle. Buchanan's is really helpful, but BUT!, make sure you ask them about measurements, they'll have all the stuff on hand generally, but you at least want an effective rim diameter(EFD), which is just point to point where the spoke will come out of the rim. so, you'll want like 1 or 2 mm above the hole counting for the nipple height(and if you are going to use washers). However, there is another trick i was let in on, someone mentioned just using the stock rear up front, the front caliper bolts up, you'll just have to make a spacer because the xr rear hub is a little wider. so thats definitely an option, and then you could use something like a KLR rear wheel(17x3.00) and put a 130 on it. KLR650's have 17mm rear axles, but, there is a thread that gives bearing dimensions and on ebay you can find the same dimensions only for 15mm inner diameter(XR250=15mm axle). bbuutt, that maybe be a little more involved that you want.

in short, consider using an XR rear wheel up front and have a machine shop(or yourself) make a spacer. if the rim came from a disc hub it will have holes at the correct or close to correct angles. washers help in this area to allow the nipple a little wiggle room, however, you can be careful and use a rotary tool to reshape the holes a bit(buchanan's advised me on this).

Which would be the easiest option? Relacing a tusk 18" rear rim to the front hub or trying to dig up and make a rear wheel work?

I already found the rim i want just need to know if te spoke angle will be right

hmm.. guess it depends on how confident you are in yourself. for using a rear wheel, all you have to do is make a spacer for the front. lacing a wheel isn't a huge ordeal, its just very time consuming especially if you aren't familiar with the process, and obviously its important you are doing it correctly. luckily, XR hubs can only be laced in one way, there is no room for changing the way the spokes cross because of how the hub design is. that being said, there is margin/room for variation relative to the angle the spokes enter/leave the rim. mine are not perfect, some have a slight bow(after lots of modification to the rim to create as best angle for the nipples as i could). Like i said, make sure you get a good effective rim diameter, call and talk to buchanan's and ask a lot of question, and ask them to ask questions. i made that mistake of not asking or giving information and it made things unnecessarily complicated. 

Okay perfect. Since i want to paint and clean everything up ill buy a rim and lace it to my front hub. Worse case senario i will file out the rim holes.

Thanks for the help. I also wanted to add i was reading on another thread of people running a 130 front and rear. Even with a 2.15 rim.

you won't gain any advantage running a 130 up front, there begins a point of diminishing returns. a 120 is about as wide as you really want to go in the front anyways(not sure if anything wider would fit even). of which, for a 250 thats overkill. More over, my point with the large sidewalls is you have to fit these tires onto the rim, as it turns out. look up the manufacturer recommended rim size for a given tire. i have a 130/90/18 on the rear(but its probably more like a 95). it has quite a bow on it and in high lean it acts funny because it wants to 'dive' because the tire profile is all screwed up. this was the previous owners idea, i just haven't gotten around to getting a new rear rim.

He's right. I have a 130 on the back of my XR350 street setup and it's "peaked" in shape.  Much wider than you'd want in front for decent handling.

Go 120 if you gotta have the chunky look. I like it too, but it costs you handling. 

He's right. I have a 130 on the back of my XR350 street setup and it's "peaked" in shape.  Much wider than you'd want in front for decent handling.

Go 120 if you gotta have the chunky look. I like it too, but it costs you handling. 

110 front 130 rear is just right.

been busy, work is nuts this time of year. anywho, i can't remember where i found the actual information there is a thread on supermotor junkie where a guy talks about his friend that did the conversion, a rear up front. I do remember reading that someone had to do that however, make a spacer. you'd have to flip the orientation around so the disc is on the correct side, obviously change the rotor, and take off the sprocket/cush drive. the rear hub is wider, so you'd probably get by cutting down the front space to make it fit properly(or maybe i'm crazy and making up a front spacer?? seems like i remember one being there.). in the event there isn't one or it doesn't work, making a spacer would be fairly simple. maybe go to a machine shop and see if they have a spare bit of pipe with the correct inner diameter.

I understand what youre saying i made my decision. Going to buy my rim,spokes,nipples from buchanan. They drill the rim to your hub and give you the correct spokes. It will cost me about 300. Which i can deal with for a quality rim that i know will work.

New question is what width should i get? And also how goofy would it look with a 17 up front and 18 in the rear?

Figured i could get a 17 up front and get a 17 in the rear in the future

rim width will depend upon tire choice. look up a size tire you want to run and go to the manufacturers website and look at recommended rim widths. that being said 2.5" is pretty good up front.

could consider making a KLR650 rear rim work 17x3.0"

vt400F run 17" front, 18" rear it was more common in the late 80s early 90s.

I just didnt know if it would goofy up front with a 17" i was thinking a 2.5 would do and either a 110 or 120. Im planing on running pirreli scorpions.