Sign in to follow this  

first problem with the drz

So i picked up my drz about 2/3 months ago. Its an 08 with 4100 miles on it, 3x3 mod with jd kit, whitebros pipe and some other minor things. First thing i did after it was mine was strip it. Everything came off the frame except the wiring and motor. Front forks and rear shock went to a local suspension place and set up for my weight (220lbs) and then i went through the wireing soldering everything together that had been cut and just taped together, (led blinkers, safety switches that had been removed and what not) full fluid service on the brakes, coolant and oil, and all the bearings were inspected and repacked. Then i cleaned up the 3x3 hole in the box and pulled the carb and re jetted to a 165 main (and i dont remember the other two off hand but i will know tonight when i take the carb off again), and i put a fresh pulg on it then put the bike back together. And not a single issue over the last 600 miles of riding. Bike sat for the last two weeks being started and idled for a few minutes once a week. Saturday morning i filled the the tank and i went for a 50 mile ride. Not an issue. Sunday morning i fire it up and head off again and about 10 miles from home it starts sputtering and bucking on acceleration and would die if i didnt slip the clutch and keep the rpms up. But once i was up to 50mph or so in 4/5 gear i could go full throttle and the bike would take off like usual up to 90. So the only issue is under acceleration with light rpms which would be my normal riding around town conditions. And whats getting me is it will idle fine and rev fine when sitting still so its only doing it under a load on acceleration. So last night i checked the plug and it looked fine and went through the carb and cleaned it out thinging maybe bad gass and drained the tank and filled it up with fresh 91 from a different shell station. And still the same issue. I hust dont understand how literally over night it can start to run like crap.

sounds like the carb to me .. you eliminated water in the system, sounds like, did you blow it out with compressed air, check under the float valve seat to see if there was a gob of trash? petcock vac line on? .. lastly, i would check for leaks around the intake boot. if you have starter fluid spritz alittle around it while its idling and see what happens ..

Sounds like it could be a little water/grungy-water sitting in the bowl, too big to squeeze by the main jet, but still able to somewhat block it and isn't picked up at idle. Suggest you drain the bowl, flushing it with gas before going through with carb removal.

Failing this, stators have failed in this manner also.

• Like 1

I'm thinking the stator is on it's way out, very hard to diagnose, they can sometimes pass all the manual tests and still be bad, the symtoms sound like they match. You could remove the cover and inspect the windings for melted plastic, burnt spots, melted insulation, any of those and you should lose it anyway.

• Like 1

California bike.  Is the charcoal canister vapor recovery system still intact?  When was the last time the tank was filled with gas relative to when the poor running started?

Still havent had time to tear into the bike, didnt get home from work till 11pm yesterday. Thanks for all the input guys, i have flushed the carb out and removed it and checked it out prior to posting the thread but i am going to go through it again just to be safe just incase i over looked something, ill check for leaks on the boot when i do that again. I really hope the stator isnt going bad because i burned up most of my stash play cash setting the bike up and havent been able to build it up. But i think that might be it because now that i think about it the issue usually starts a few miles away from where i left and i usually only let the bike idle for a few minutes and then take off so its still under temp so it makes sense. And yes it is a california bike but the smog stuff, um fell off prior to me buying it. The po capped everything off and the first things i checked were the vacuum plugs because it felt like a vacuum leak to me initally.

Noble why do you say check the oil for fuel? You thinking the rings are toast? And yes its venting, i drained the tank with the cap on and the petcock on prime. So i dont think there is a issue with the tank not venting.

Petcock leaks and carb float valve leaks often put gasoline in the oil (it runs down past the rings, does not make any difference if the rings are good or not). Then when the oil warms up the gasoline vapor boils off and gets sucked into the motor thru the breather system richening the mixture.  It is just one of the common things to check out whey you are having running problems.

Well i figured it out, the plastic retainer let loose in the diaphram and the spring shot out. So just put it back together and the bike runs great again.

• Like 1

A 165 main jet is a little big for a BSR36 with the mods you mentioned. Should be around 165mj,25paj, extended fuel screw starting at 2 turns out. Other will say OEM 22.5 paj with the OEM fuel screw. But it is running for now and that is a good thing. If your gas mileage sucks you may know why...

A 165 main jet is a little big for a BSR36 with the mods you mentioned. Should be around 165mj,25paj, extended fuel screw starting at 2 turns out. Other will say OEM 22.5 paj with the OEM fuel screw. But it is running for now and that is a good thing. If your gas mileage sucks you may know why...

Well last night i discovered i put in the 155 main all along, dont know why i thought 165 but i was wrong on that. Wasnt wearing my glasses or something. So its got the 155mj, 25pj, and i believe the other is a 62.5 Or 82.5? The po distorted it and i cant read the first number very well. And im at 2 1/2 turns out now. Im in moreno valley ca so im around 1,650ele with the blue needle at the 3rd clip up from the bottom. The 3x3 mod with jd jet kit and extended screw has been done to the bike and im running a white bros slip on and i cleaned up the header inlet at the head and cleaned up the exhaust port on the head. Checked the plug and it looks good while i had it apart last night. It fired right up and went for a quick 7 mile ride at 10pm last night. Ran great like it did before.

Its funny and kind of depresing that i read about all these guys doing power wheelies in first and second but im 220lbs and 6'2" and that front tire aint going anywhere but forward. They must be sitting on the rear fender and not the middle/front of the seat. Atleast thats what im telling myself.

Edited by ThatGuyCorey
  • Like 1

The DRz isn't all that easy to wheelie with just power application, unless you tug pretty hard, you're very light or sitting back....or clutch it up.