Sign in to follow this  

250L screen problem?

Hi guys im new here and need some help, so i have a 2014 250L .

I bought some 9$ small profile blinkers on ebay to install because the big bulky stock blinkers were getting roasted by my aftermarket exhaust and i would prefer small clean looking signals as i also did a rear license plate mod somewhat similiar to the brake light delete kits online.

So after i replaced the rear signals( stock only had + and - wires so easy adaption to aftermarket) , I tested them  and they worked but blinked fast( i wasnt worried bout that) but after i replaced front signals, these had 3 wires running through them, left side blinker:(green, orange,orange with white line) and right side blinker:(green,blue,blue with white line) i wired them to the aftermarkets, green to green and orange to orange but i also wired in the orange with white stripe to the solid orange wire. . So i had everthing connected and i tested them, they blinked fast but then after about 5 seconds the display screen went black. I then reinstalled the stock blinkers everthing back to normal wiring. but the prbolem is still there, when i turn ignition off the disply lights up for a second same as when turning off, all numbers are shown. when i ignition on the all the lights work, and the nuetral/blinker icons work But when i ignition on the display turns on but when i hit blinker shuts off. i checked fuses and main fuse and tryed a ecu restart but the problem is there.

Please any help would be apreciated, Thanks!

I wired in diodes to my front blinkers and they were working well .. on when running and blinking correctly.. really fast at first. Then I got the little deal that slows the blinking down and my rears were barely visible .. so keep them blinking fast .. and I eventually went back to stock.. dunno if this helps ..but the diode thing worked really well .. the pics I took doing it are at the bottom of the ocean but if you are interested I'll tell you more details if you like ..

• Like 1

I wired in diodes to my front blinkers and they were working well .. on when running and blinking correctly.. really fast at first. Then I got the little deal that slows the blinking down and my rears were barely visible .. so keep them blinking fast .. and I eventually went back to stock.. dunno if this helps ..but the diode thing worked really well .. the pics I took doing it are at the bottom of the ocean but if you are interested I'll tell you more details if you like ..

So after the lights installation your screen didnt malfunction?

Oh no .. everything worked fine. I installed the zeta handguards with the blinkers in them. The diodes were practically free .. the folks that sell the blinker flasher gizmo also sell an epoxy infused leggo lookin thing that does the same deal for not very much money. But the ones I ordered were wired funky so I just did the wire job on my own.

Maybe the extra wire in the front blinker was for running lights, originally, when your engine was running was your front blinkers on steady all the time? If so just don't connect that wire to the LED blinkers. Did you not test things with a tester first?

For the blinking speed you need a special flasher unit for LED blinkers, we use these adjustable ones in our small shop.

Screen Shot 2015-11-17 at 7.52.42 pm.png

Oh no .. everything worked fine. I installed the zeta handguards with the blinkers in them. The diodes were practically free .. the folks that sell the blinker flasher gizmo also sell an epoxy infused leggo lookin thing that does the same deal for not very much money. But the ones I ordered were wired funky so I just did the wire job on my own.

I don't understand, a diod is just like a one way valve for electricity so not sure what you did.

We use diodes to split a single live wire into two, one with a resistor so you have one with normal power & one with a lower output, we do this for customers to get a stop n tail light function from a single LED.

• Like 1

I don't understand, a diod is just like a one way valve for electricity so not sure what you did.

We use diodes to split a single live wire into two, one with a resistor so you have one with normal power & one with a lower output, we do this for customers to get a stop n tail light function from a single LED.

I wired a diode into two of the wires from the harness and connected them to one wire in the light I think .. it allowed the running light to stay on and the blinker to flash .. I'm not sure which wires were the two . .. I imagine the two hot wires .. and connected them to the hot wire on the light and ground to ground.. I wish I still had the pics . It worked well for the price of a diode and shrink-wrap ..

I wired a diode into two of the wires from the harness and connected them to one wire in the light I think .. it allowed the running light to stay on and the blinker to flash .. I'm not sure which wires were the two . .. I imagine the two hot wires .. and connected them to the hot wire on the light and ground to ground.. I wish I still had the pics . It worked well for the price of a diode and shrink-wrap ..

I think you might have installed the diodes to prevent power from traveling from the running light power circuit into the turn signal circuit power feed wires.  Basically the diode would be installed in the turn signal power wire to prevent power feedback.

I would think a resister might need to be added to reduce the running light output so the turn signal flashes brighter then the running light unless the running light power is shut off from the factory when the turn signals are operated.

Just my guess though...  :thinking:

I believe you are correct.. I only installed the diode and it worked fine. Running light on when running and flashing off and in when the turn signal was engaged

• Like 1

I believe you are correct.. I only installed the diode and it worked fine. Running light on when running and flashing off and in when the turn signal was engaged

I think the running light shuts off when the turn signal is activated stock so just diodes would be needed.  For those that don't want to mess with wiring DRC makes a direct plug in module that costs about $35.00 that will accomplish the same thing for those that are wiring impaired. 

I bought those .. or I bought something similar wich was a diode epoxied into the back of a leggo with the wires hanging out .. and it was done incorrectly I think. Didn't work .. that's why I ended up just doing it myself .. diodes are practically nothing. And 2 bucks worth of shrink-wrap. Ka-blam!! Save the $ for hooker and blow !!:)

• Like 1