Sign in to follow this  

Exhaust baffle removed on a CRF 230

I just bought a CRF 230F that has the exhaust baffle removed. Unfortunately, I didn't realize the baffle was removed and the bike is louder than I want it to be. I'm having a real difficult time finding a used, stock baffle (diffuser). Has anyone used any other method of quieting down the exhaust or does anyone have a stock baffle they would like to sell me? Thanks.

Paul

Edited by q2quest

I just bought a CRF 230 that has the exhaust baffle removed. Unfortunately, I didn't realize the baffle was removed and the bike is louder than I want it to be. I'm having a real difficult time finding a used, stock baffle (diffuser). Has anyone used any other method of quieting down the exhaust or does anyone have a stock baffle they would like to sell me? Thanks.

Paul

For some reason stock baffles are very hard to come by.  As an alternative try one of Frank Nye's PoweRings from Engines Onlyhttp://www.xr100.com

96 dB legal, quiet, and more power with 110 main jet.

Power-Ring_small.jpg

Edited by VortecCPI
  • Like 1

PoweRing is nice but I don't think they make them for L/M model. Ask Frank Nye at xr100. Your other option for L/M is this 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-EXHAUST-TIP-CRF230L-CRF230M-CRF-230L-230M-3D-CNC-w-SPARK-ARRESTOR-SCREEN-/171998602568?fits=Model%3ACRF230M&hash=item280bea6548:m:muJgFH3sInfEljjJT2LU7Nw&vxp=mtr

Not too loud but not quiet. I have one used if you are interested. 

Thanks for the replies everyone. The bike is a 230F. I never dreamed I couldn't find the stock baffle on Craigslist or eBay for $20. It defies logic. It seems most owners of these bikes immediately ditch the stock baffle and yet none are to be found anywhere. And even more mind blowing is that Honda does not sell this baffle separately. The power ring is an option, but pricier than I was hoping for. Thanks again.

• Like 2

If your focus is more of function then form, you can use a piece of 3/4" elecrical flex (the metal type). cut it to length then drill it to attach with a sheetmetal screw at the stock baffle location. This quiets it down pretty well and doesn't restrict the exhaust as much the original.

• Like 2

Try this:

Bikers Choice Exhaust Pipe Baffle 1-1/2" OD Steel 64301 492611 - $6.50.

http://www.amazon.com/BIKERS-CHOICE-EXHAUST-BAFFLE-STEEL/dp/B00317DIVW/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1436145377&sr=1-1&keywords=EXHAUST+PIPE+BAFFLE+1-1%2F2+INCH+OD+STEEL

To really do a good job, add some stainless steel mesh for a spark arrester screen.

Edit: belay that spark arrester screen comment; I forgot it's already there  ;-)

CRF230FdiffuserReplacement1.jpg

CRF230FdiffuserReplacement2.jpg

PS I only bought the part and took pictures; haven't installed one in a running 230F yet, so I don't know how quiet it will be.  For $6.50, it's worth a shot.

:ride:

Edited by ramz
  • Like 2

Thanks for the replies everyone. The bike is a 230F. I never dreamed I couldn't find the stock baffle on Craigslist or eBay for $20. It defies logic. It seems most owners of these bikes immediately ditch the stock baffle and yet none are to be found anywhere. And even more mind blowing is that Honda does not sell this baffle separately. The power ring is an option, but pricier than I was hoping for. Thanks again.

Yes pricier but also more HP output than any thing else on the market except the same concept on the end of a reverse cone megaphone.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447774458.024120.jpg

Since your not looking for any extra Power you can do something like this:

It made my bikes sound like sweet running 250.

Very nice subdued sound, not too loud.

If your focus is more of function then form, you can use a piece of 3/4" elecrical flex (the metal type). cut it to length then drill it to attach with a sheetmetal screw at the stock baffle location. This quiets it down pretty well and doesn't restrict the exhaust as much the original.

I like this idea because the flex is ribbed inside to bounce the sound.  Have you tried 1" steel flex?  How did you position the flex inside and outside of the tip?

Bikers Choice Exhaust Pipe Baffle 1-1/2" OD Steel 64301 492611 - $6.50.

Another great find by the "CRF Whisperer". I purchased one of these and it looks very promising.

I plan to do a before and after "SAE J1287 stationary sound test" to measure how much effect the baffle has: 

http://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/programs/fire/spark_arrester_guides/_assets/OHV209-308Blue.pdf

The "Sound Meter" app on my Android tablet should do the job. Will post results when this is done. On my list.

Yeah 1" flex might be quieter, I only had 3/4" in the shed. If you push the conduit tight to the back of th sparky cone it woun't rattle, then leave enough metal around the screw to keep it from tearing. Basically flush with the tip.

• Like 1

I Just Uncorked a 2003 CRF230f . 118/45 Jets intake/exhaust baffles removed and it was way to loud for were i ride. I Have been experimenting with a cheap homemade baffle made out of pipe that fits in the spark arrestor By Gradually Increasing the size of the holes in the pipe I Have now got it  to were it is only slightly louder than the corked up pipe but it still has the same power as the open pipe. Its Cheap and works very well. :thumbsup:

SANY5340.JPG

Edited by BIG JOHN
  • Like 1

I Just Uncorked a 2003 CRF230f . 118/45 Jets intake/exhaust baffles removed and it was way to loud for were i ride. I Have been experimenting with a cheap homemade baffle made out of pipe that fits in the spark arrestor By Gradually Increasing the size of the holes in the pipe I Have now got it  to were it is only slightly louder than the corked up pipe but it still has the same power as the open pipe. Its Cheap and works very well. :thumbsup:

Is the end that faces inside closed?

Quick report on the "Bikers Choice Exhaust Pipe Baffle"...

I did an hour of familiar singletrack today and could not notice any difference in power. It seems maybe 10% quieter. Bike is still too loud for my tastes but it can't hurt.

Still planning to do the SAE test of difference in sound level.

Just wanted to resurrect this thread as my personal powering is just way too loud for certain riding areas that I go to. The drilled pipe insert by 18B looks like a simple mod, so I may try that with the stock end cap since the baffle was gone when I bought the bike. Otherwise I have a 1 1/2" 90 degree plumb fitting that I was going to put on my 250X muffler for a 150RB.

On 11/17/2015 at 4:09 AM, q2quest said:

Thanks for the replies everyone. The bike is a 230F. I never dreamed I couldn't find the stock baffle on Craigslist or eBay for $20. It defies logic. It seems most owners of these bikes immediately ditch the stock baffle and yet none are to be found anywhere. 

I would imagine that dumps around the world are littered with them...

Many are too happy to toss them in a trash can after installing an aftermarket performance exhaust system... I don't think that anyone pulling a stock exhaust piece would think that anyone would want to buy one...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mx4god said:

Just wanted to resurrect this thread as my personal powering is just way too loud for certain riding areas that I go to. The drilled pipe insert by 18B looks like a simple mod, so I may try that with the stock end cap since the baffle was gone when I bought the bike. Otherwise I have a 1 1/2" 90 degree plumb fitting that I was going to put on my 250X muffler for a 150RB.

Remove a few disks until it quiets down.  Though 10 disks is what you want for best power and 96 dB compliance you can run with far less.  I have seen quite a few SRX600 riders using only 4-6 disks to keep noise down.  If an SRX600 will run with 4-6 disks you can bet a CRF230 will.  Of course you will sacrifice top-end power but you will do the same with most any strangled exhaust.

If you are in an area with no noise limit requirements you can run as many disks as you like.  If you are on a closed course you can run an open end cap.

The chart below was developed with data I have acquired throughout the years.  Obviously super-hot Hi-Po engines are outside of this scope of this chart.  As you can see a 223cc engine operating at 10,000 RPM should perform very well with 8-11 disks.  As you start removing disks you will lose top-end power and likely gain low-end power.

Capture.PNG

Edited by VortecCPI
  • Like 2