Sign in to follow this  

How do I know what chain to buy?

Changing gearing on a bike. Went smaller in the front and kept the factory chain but now we are going bigger on the rear and I know I will need a new chain. 

How do I determine how many more links I need to buy?

Bike is a CRF150f. Started out a 13/48. At 12/48 now and going to change it to 12/53. Standard chain is a 520-104. Is there a formula or something to know how much longer of a chain I should buy? Because I could buy a 106 or 108 link chain and that way I need to use less master links. Or do a buy a standard one that is 104 links and just several master links and add and subtract until its right? 

Buy a longer chain that you know will be a tad long. Figure how many links to take off. Enjoy a properly sized (length wise) chain

Edited by Michael1979
  • Like 1

I thought there would be more of an exact science too it but thats still an idea I didnt think of . Sounds perfect to me, thanks!

I thought there would be more of an exact science too it but thats still an idea I didnt think of . Sounds perfect to me, thanks!

Given that bikes have different swingarm lengths, distance from front sprocket to rear sprocket, etc, there's no clear cut formula. But yes, buy a longer chain than you will need.

• Like 1