Sign in to follow this  

Xr 400 front wheel/rotor/brake setup

Hey guys I've done some searching and poking around on the subject and haven't been able to get an answer. A month or so ago I picked up a set of xr 400 wheels/tires/rotors everything to plug and play on my 650l for next to nothing. Back tire bolts up perfect just as my research has led me to believe. The front however everything lines up great other than the brake pads don't cover the rotor all the way, something like 3/4 of the contact patch on the rotor meets the pads. My question is will a set of xr 400 pads fix this issue? The bolt pattern on the brake rotor doesn't match up with the 650l wheel otherwise I would have just swapped the rotor over. I'm wanting to use the 400 wheels with a set of knobbies on them as I'd only use them on occasion so if need be I can buy another set of 650l pads to run only with the 400 wheels on. If anyone can help me out that'd be great!

Thanks in advance.

I think the 650L uses a slightly larger front rotor than the 600 (and I guess the 400 too.). Maybe you could use a 600 front caliper, or a 650L rotor on the 400 wheel.

Edited by heart_of_darkness

I think the 650L uses a slightly larger front rotor than the 600 (and I guess the 400 too.). Maybe you could use a 600 front caliper, or a 650L rotor on the 400 wheel.

the 650l rotor doesn't share a bolt pattern with the 400 wheel

Maybe an aftermarket oversize rotor for the 400, if such a thing exists.

Or swap a 400 / 600 caliper bracket.

More practically, incomplete brake pad contact on the front will still give you a lot of braking when on dirt. Unless you want to do stoppies. The pads would wear unevenly.

What exactly is the problem? Can we get a picture?

Is the diameter of the rotor not big enough?

So only half the pad is touching?

So you need a bigger rotor with xr650l diameter and xr400 bolt pattern?

You got it. dont have a stand at the moment so id rather not pull the wheel off w/o a stand. but what ideally i would need is a 650l sized rotor w/ a 400 bolt pattern.

Maybe an aftermarket oversize rotor for the 400, if such a thing exists.

Or swap a 400 / 600 caliper bracket.

More practically, incomplete brake pad contact on the front will still give you a lot of braking when on dirt. Unless you want to do stoppies. The pads would wear unevenly.

i'll have to look into a bracket. but what im thinking is getting a new set of pads to run with the dirt wheels so i dont ruin the pads i use on the street vise versa.

Or you could order a rotor with xr400 lug pattern and xr650l diameter. Xr400 are 240mm i think( 600s are) and xr650l is 256mm. You need a 256mm xr400 rotor.

In my opinion. It can be custom made for an extra buck.

I have built many bikes needing different sprockets or brakes. I go Vortex and EBC. Ill email my EBC guy and ask but being the guy with money it might be better for you to inquire. Easy bolt on stuff just get it made.

My question is...

If you bought an oversize 400/600 rotor. Would the caliper bracket work on the 650l? I dont see why not. But if I was gonna spend a hundred bux on 270mm id wanna keep the upgrade at 270 mm. Instead of buy an oversize for a hundred then go pay for it to get shrunk. Then have 14 less mm.

When I had a stock front end (600) I had a 270mm that cost $150.

Plus it was waved and slotted. I wouldnt turn it down smaller diameter.

The key is lug pattern then moving up in size. Unless you sourced a similar lug pattern bigger diameter rotor somehow.

Id just get a new one made.

I have an 01 r1 front end on my 600. And it has an 05 r1 rim to match my 5 spoke vfr rear wheel. 01 was 3 spoke. Anyways brakes were way bigger(310mm) I had 298mm rotors made for my 05 r1 rim. Waved and slotted. Brand new. Bolt on. 200 bux. But thats what they cost brand new anyways.

With a quick search on the 270mm I couldn't find any brackets that fit the 650l for the 270mm rotor.

on a side note i just sent an email to EBC and we will see what they can do! Really hoping they can help me out.

With a quick search on the 270mm I couldn't find any brackets that fit the 650l for the 270mm rotor.

on a side note i just sent an email to EBC and we will see what they can do! Really hoping they can help me out.

EBC or Galfer should be able to get you a bracket. they usually sell them as a set with the rotor so it may require a special request.