Sign in to follow this  

Cleaning your motocross/ dirt bike.

Thought I'd fire up a thread on cleaning our beloved machines, I use a Windex bottle with 75% laundry detergent with baking soda and the rest water, apply to bike/quad generously. But you apply it dry. Then wait 5-6 minutes and hose it off. Works like a charm for under the fenders. What's your route for cleaning your bike?

• Like 1

I just use a bucket of water with car wash soap and à sponge. Rinse off with hose. Than ride around the block to dry. After that I spray plastics and métal with detailing polish wax and wipe off.

• Like 1

mr.clean multi purpose cleaner in a spray bottle. spray on bike then pressure wash it then blow it off with a leaf blower. done and done.. and oh ya DO NOT WASH THE BIKE WITH THE SEAT AND AIR FILTER ON THE BIKE. buy a air box cover and remove the seat and air filter before washing 

A simple water hose and Spray Turtle Wax does the job for me.. dirt and mud basically falls off when I rinse it with the hose.

The spray wax works great..  

Cheers

0420141431a.jpg

1221131320.jpg

1221131323a.jpg

• Like 1

mr.clean multi purpose cleaner in a spray bottle. spray on bike then pressure wash it then blow it off with a leaf blower. done and done.. and oh ya DO NOT WASH THE BIKE WITH THE SEAT AND AIR FILTER ON THE BIKE. buy a air box cover and remove the seat and air filter before washing

maybe a stupid question but why not wash with the seat and air filter on? I go through water and mud and fall down in it and everything gets wet

maybe a stupid question but why not wash with the seat and air filter on? I go through water and mud and fall down in it and everything gets wet

I understand the whole dot get your air filter wet but yeah I also get the seat muddy and end up washing it with dawn dish soap and water.

Washing your seat will make the foam super hard over time. Nothing wrong with using a wet rag and wiping off the mud. But soaking the seat is a bad thing. I uset to always wash my bikes with the seats on them. I never kept a bike longer then two years so I never noticed the damage. But I have a 05 cr125 that I have had for 4 years and the seat is very hard due to me and others washing the bike with the seat on it all the time

A simple water hose and Spray Turtle Wax does the job for me.. dirt and mud basically falls off when I rinse it with the hose.

The spray wax works great..

Cheers

Lol, where's those brake lines!

Lol, where's those brake lines!

Monk,

See attached.

The brake lines are still in the plastic, I have both of my bikes (450R and 230F) currently tore down for winter maintenance since I'm all broke up and have not been able to ride for the past few months. I crashed during practice and suffered a compound fracture to my right ankle/tib, broke 2 ribs, bruised liver, (5cm mass) pissed blood for two weeks, tore my right MCL and right tendons flexors in my right elbow. 

Sent recent MRI reports to Dr Mark (TT Member) for review and 2nd opinion. We have spoke several times via cell, Dr Mark wants to do surgery on my right knee (MCL) and on my right elbow flexors/tendons. Currently trying to schedule the surgery with Dr Mark in the near future. 

PM me your personal email and let me know what you paid for the brake lines, and I will be glad to send you the money "tonight" via PayPal.

Happy Holidays my friend.

Cheers 

1116151856.jpg

1116151854a.jpg

1115151524.jpg

1115151525.jpg

1115151527.jpg

1115151613.jpg

1116151845.jpg

1116151847.jpg

1116151848.jpg

1116151849.jpg

1116151850.jpg

1116151852.jpg

1116151852a.jpg

1116151854.jpg

1116151857.jpg

1116151858.jpg

I've seen (on my friends bikes) and read of too much damage done by pressure washing,

you can easily get too 'aggressive' in wanting to clean the crud out of certain hard to reach areas and inadvertently push water and dirt past rubber seals.

Many rusty / gritty steering stem, suspension linkage, wheel bearings or, countershaft sprocket / shift lever oil leaks can be attributed to pressure washing.

I've read it's an issue as well in dirt track car racing (stock car, sprint cars, outlaws etc.) as during a race event they

very often pressure wash the mud off the car in between practice heats, qualifying and main event.

They're seeing more wear in suspension components caused by water/dirt infiltration rather than by the wear and tear of actual racing.

Never any pressure washing on my bike,

no matter how dirty/muddy, it's a quick shot of Spray-Nine, a garden hose, a bucket of warm soapy water and whatever elbow grease is required.

Edited by mlatour

Monk,

See attached.

The brake lines are still in the plastic, I have both of my bikes (450R and 230F) currently tore down for winter maintenance since I'm all broke up and have not been able to ride for the past few months. I crashed during practice and suffered a compound fracture to my right ankle/tib, broke 2 ribs, bruised liver, (5cm mass) pissed blood for two weeks, tore my right MCL and right tendons flexors in my right elbow.

Sent recent MRI reports to Dr Mark (TT Member) for review and 2nd opinion. We have spoke several times via cell, Dr Mark wants to do surgery on my right knee (MCL) and on my right elbow flexors/tendons. Currently trying to schedule the surgery with Dr Mark in the near future.

PM me your personal email and let me know what you paid for the brake lines, and I will be glad to send you the money "tonight" via PayPal.

Cheers

No no, it was a contest, you won. I'm glad your getting some work done and I'm sure the bike will be spectacular when finished...

Monk,

See attached.

Cheers

No no, it was a contest, you won. I'm glad your getting some work done and I'm sure the bike will be spectacular when finished...

Monk,

See attached.

Cheers

spray 9, mothers milk in the moto world. I found this stuff when i got into the oil patch. Its magic. Pressure wash bike, than spray bike with spray 9, scrub down with plastic bristle brush and rinse.

spray9.01.jpg

I used to use simple green, its hard on aluminum and can tarnish, fade anodizing.   simple green < spray nine

I've seen (on my friends bikes) and read of too much damage done by pressure washing,

you can easily get too 'aggressive' in wanting to clean the crud out of certain hard to reach areas and inadvertently push water and dirt past rubber seals.

Many rusty / gritty steering stem, suspension linkage, wheel bearings or, countershaft sprocket / shift lever oil leaks can be attributed to pressure washing.

I've read it's an issue as well in dirt track car racing (stock car, sprint cars, outlaws etc.) as during a race event they

very often pressure wash the mud off the car in between practice heats, qualifying and main event.

They're seeing more wear in suspension components caused by water/dirt infiltration rather than by the wear and tear of actual racing.

Never any pressure washing on my bike,

no matter how dirty/muddy, it's a quick shot of Spray-Nine, a garden hose, a bucket of warm soapy water and whatever elbow grease is required.

There are no seals on many, if any, of those suspension parts. Apples to oranges.

I've pressure washed a bike for fourteen years straight, never changed steering bearings, have changed linkage, though not due to pressure washing. And fading anodizing, the dirt grinding off the anodizing does way more damage than any cleaner will ever do.

In other words just pressure wash wd40 chain, clean filter and repeat. 

• Like 1

Washing your seat will make the foam super hard over time. Nothing wrong with using a wet rag and wiping off the mud. But soaking the seat is a bad thing. I uset to always wash my bikes with the seats on them. I never kept a bike longer then two years so I never noticed the damage. But I have a 05 cr125 that I have had for 4 years and the seat is very hard due to me and others washing the bike with the seat on it all the time

Never heard this one, seats on dirt bikes aren't comfortable from day one anyway.