Sign in to follow this  

Does this look like I need a new float bowl gasket?

I rejetted my carb today, and when I was putting it back together, I realized that I was unable to get the gasket back into the groove as shown in the photo. Does this look like I need a new gasket or should I be able to squeeze this one in here somehow and use some kind of "carb friendly glue"?

Thanks!

image.jpg1_zpsfzvrt8cw.jpg

Man what are you doing to that bike, it's brand new and you've already snapped an exhaust bolt and now this!

Just kidding, I too have no issue in taking brand new vehicles apart and tinkering around with them.

Did you spray some sort of parts cleaner on that o-ring? Looks like it might of swelled up.

If you flip it over, does it fit any better? but as I see it that o-ring looks too swelled up to ever fit properly again.

If you decide to try 'glueing' it into place (I've done that to my carb's top cover o-ring where the slide drops in) you'll have to use a gasoline resistant sealer.

Something like Yamaha's 'Yamabond' sealer or Permatex 'Threebond' (found at auto part stores) will do, used very sparingly of course.

It's probably cheaper just to buy a new o-ring than a tube of sealer that may not even solve the problem.

Edited by mlatour

Haha yup I sure ripped this brand new bike apart! But the mods I'm doing are:

- exhaust (done)

- larger c/s sprocket (done)

- drill airbox

- rejet carb with TT recommended larger jet sizes

- new "number plate" that has built in headlight

I wasn't happy with the way the bike ran stock. It felt like it was geared wrong and WAY too restricted. It's cold as hell around here right now, so I'm not doing any riding anyway (at least not until I snows...then it's quad time!).

Anyway, no I didn't use any carb cleaner or anything. Some gas did get on the gasket though (I didn't drain the float bowl all the way, causing a little gas spillage) which may have caused it to deform. Other then that, I just popped the float bowl off, put new jets in...and now I noticed that I can't get the gasket back into place.

I was just wondering if these gaskets usually come oversized like this, or if they are supposed to fit perfectly in that little groove? I can always just order a new one from the dealer tomorrow if it comes down to it.

And after that exhaust bolt incident, I was VERY careful with screwing in the jets. I definitely didn't wanna a break one of those!

Okay cool..I'll grab a new gasket then if the soap thing doesn't work.

And I thought today was gonna be the day when I finally get to try this 'uncorked' bad boy out!

Thanks for the tip KRANNIE, I'll give that a try next time something like this happens.

Any chance that's from a 2015 TTR-230? I dropped the bowl on one last month for exactly the second time and had the same problem. No cleaning chemicals.

Edit: you can still ride it while you wait on a new o ring gasket. Cut it very carefully leaving squared ends about half a mm too long. Do this in small increments. Smear a little dab of sticky-ickie grease in the groove and stuff the o-ring in there. Button her up and enjoy.

Edited by clappedoutkx

Any chance that's from a 2015 TTR-230? I dropped the bowl on one last month for exactly the second time and had the same problem. No cleaning chemicals.

Yup 2015. No cleaning chemicals at all.

Did you end up just getting a new gasket?

Nice! Ya I was thinkin about doing that, but I'd rather just wait for the new gasket. There's like 4 Yamaha dealers within a 30 mile radius from me, so surely one of them has it in stock.

Just wondering though, what type of grease would you use for something like this? Bearing grease?

I got a new gasket from the Yamaha dealer, and it fit perfectly. I put the carb with the new jets in, and mixture screw adjusted properly, back on the bike and it fired right up.

This bike runs amazingly now, hardly any warm-up time needed at all. Hardly any choke is needed for a fresh start. It's stored in my basement, so I haven't had to do a full on "cold start" yet. However, with the stock exhaust and jetting, the typical warm up time was about 10 minutes before being able to run the bike with the choke off.

Thanks for all the help!