Worth changing the stock headlight?

Just a quick question to those that have changed the stock headlight on the DRZ400.

A: is it worth doing it looks like a bitch to get the original headlight off as its fork mounted.

B: I purchased the "Polisport Halo headlight with LED bulb", will I see much of an improvement?

Its mainly city riding I do although its also for looks of the actual unit as well as the LED light effect it will emit.

Cheers,

It's not too bad. Take off the front wheel and loosten the upper and lower triple clamps and slide the forks down enough to get the bracket to slide off. Or just slide the forks off completely. It's like a 15 min job. If you have no plans to ever use the factory headlight bracket again, some people take a dremel or a grinder with cutting wheel and cut it off without having to remove anything.

No idea on how that light is. But it will look cosmetically better on your bike as the stock headlight is straight outa 1987.

Edited by Kx250FRiDeR651
  • Like 2

if you ride in the dark it probably is worth it to 'upgrade' .. i dont know what the best option would be, maybe a bulb change or an addon high intensity type motorcycle fog light .. actually changing the entire unit though usually results in a bike that looks straight outta compton lol .. if you dont like the dizzers looks maybe get a dif'rent bike ..

I went with the Acerbis Cyclops and it is a huge improvement, but mine is a DRZ400E.  The E had a 35 Watt single filament bulb, very dim.  With the Cyclops I can actually see the road.   The low beam is a flat broad light with a good cutoff. I also added two 10 Watt LED 30 degree flood lights for off road.  My only complaint about the Cyclops is it uses 55 Watt H3 bulbs and there are many options for upgrading further.

I myself wanted the Polisport Halo, but didn't feel like dropping forks just for installing a headlight. Went the $40 ebay LED headlight route. Custom fab'd bracket. Light output os excellent. Couldn't be happier. One of the best mods ever.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by LetMeBRAAAPthat
  • Like 3

I myself wanted the Polisport Halo, but didn't feel like dropping forks just for installing a headlight. Went the $40 ebay LED headlight route. Custom fab's bracket. Light output os excellent. Couldn't be happier. One of the best mods ever.

Shit thats not bad at all!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just a quick question to those that have changed the stock headlight on the DRZ400.

A: is it worth doing it looks like a bitch to get the original headlight off as its fork mounted.

B: I purchased the "Polisport Halo headlight with LED bulb", will I see much of an improvement?

Its mainly city riding I do although its also for looks of the actual unit as well as the LED light effect it will emit.

Cheers,

No.

It's not that hard to get the stock light off.

The biggest reason to drop it is that it's HEAVY! Both the brackets and the big glass car headlight. A modern elastic-mounted lightweight enduro headlight with a Cyclops LED bulb is going to give wayyyyyy more and better light, and be like a kilogram lighter incl. brackets and everything.

And it's up-high weight! Highest point on the bike! And it's directly on the handlebars, on the steering pivot!

I see lots of threads on here about replacing the headlight.  Granted, I haven't done a ton of night riding, but I never felt at the stock headlight was all that bad.  Am I the only one that thinks the stock headlight is adequate?

Warner

• Like 1

keep the stock set up and upgrade to the cyclopes LED bulb.

I love mine, I will however be adding aux. lights as well for the trial.

(This is because I got the dual beam, the off road light is a better flood)

What exactly is required to make this change?  The bulb for $60 (low/high beams) and the rectifier for $40?   Simple plug and play swap?

Warner

Edited by webbie1

I see lots of threads on here about replacing the headlight.  Granted, I haven't done a ton of night riding, but I never felt at the stock headlight was all that bad.  Am I the only one that thinks the stock headlight is adequate?

Warner

Yes.

:devil:  :ride:

What exactly is required to make this change? The bulb for $60 (low/high beams) and the rectifier for $40? Simple plug and play swap?

Warner

Pretty sure all you need is the h4 cyclops bulb. I believe the DRZ headlight runs off DC power. The Rectifier is only $20 and only converts to run if your bike headlight power is AC (the bulb is for dc only)

I just bought that cyclops bulb for my wr450. Direct plug and play since its DC and uses an H4 bulb. The output isn't anything great and the beam is all scattered and crappy. It cost more then what I paid for the LED headlight for the DRZ off eBay (40$ shipped) that everyone is buying and installing. And the eBay one has a nicer beam, it's more solid like a spot light. Although it's nothing to brag about at night, it's still not very good.

Edited by Kx250FRiDeR651
  • Like 1