Sign in to follow this  

High mileage drz

Hi all, not new to the forum but new to the drz section, and to be honest reading all your threads had made my decision that the drz is going to be the one for me.

I've seen one advertised, 2007 drz400s, looks pretty standard and has plenty of paperwork to go with it, only thing is its mileage is 41,000

Simple question...would you be put off buying a high Mileage drz?

unless it looked meticulously maintained and the price was right, theres lower mileage bikes out there .. to me, 20k is alot of miles on any bike, 5-10k, now your talkin ..

• Like 1

Hi all, not new to the forum but new to the drz section, and to be honest reading all your threads had made my decision that the drz is going to be the one for me.

I've seen one advertised, 2007 drz400s, looks pretty standard and has plenty of paperwork to go with it, only thing is its mileage is 41,000

Simple answer.....NO. (would not do)

Look for something with less miles, they are out there you just have to find one.

Edited by Signman606
  • Like 2

It depends on how mechanically inclined you are. If your going to send it into the shop for any engine or electrical work, id look for a low miler.

What is he asking for it would be my question.... You can find some for 3k with about 7000 or so miles.... If he would sell it for dirt cheap just get it. Worst case you blow the motor and use the money you saved to build it to a big bore and while in there just inspect everything and replace as needed. You would come out on top if you saved enough. I would only spend maybe 1500-2000 on it personally. Depends how clean looking.

Cheers for your input guys. He's asking £1800 for it, which is cheap, was thinking of bidding him a bit lower. I'm interested in something to spend some time on over the winter. I've messed about with many bikes over the years, although as for the engine rebuild I'd probably let the shop take care of that (big bore does sound interesting!)

It's just a LOT of miles

Which would you rather rebuild (with the view of spending a few quid/dollars and turning it I to something a bit special).....

A 2000 pretty shabby low miler or a newer pretty tidy high miler?

I would buy it without worry, after a short test ride to confirm it was in good working condition. Mine has 42,000 miles, and it's not much different than 10 or 15,000. 

A LOT of people who claim the loctite fixes aren't important will also say that high milage bikes are scary. Probably not a coincidence. ;-) 

No different than buying a car with 200k as long as the price is write and you purchase it expecting a possible worst case scenario. Get it cheap and ride it until it blows up, then stick another engine in it. At least with the bike you more than likely don't have to worry about rust.