Sign in to follow this  

Transmission issues?

Pulled on highway run it up through gears with heavy throttle. Lost fifth tried down shifting all the way down to first and nothing grabbed. Pulled clutch and hit kill switch and coasted to stop. Looks like oil was pouring out from behind c/s. Any guesses on how bad it is going to be? Motor ran smooth up to me hitting kill switch. Back wheel never locked up either.

Update. Finally got bike home and off the rack and into the light. C/s nut came all the way off. Sprocket nut and washer were wedged between shaft and sprocket cover. Any guess on damage now?

It's possible there is no damage.  Was the countershaft still turning? Or did the sprocket disengage the splines?  If so, it is difficult to down shift.  Try shifting thru the gears by moving the gear shift by hand and turning the countershaft by hand to line up the components in the transmission.

As for the oil, that always happens when the nut comes off and the sprocket and seal spacer disengage the seal. Sometimes just sliding parts back in place and replacing the nut and lock washer fixes the oil leak. Other times the seal and spacer need replacement as well as the nut and lock washer.  I always advise  a new nut and lock washer.

• Like 2

From what I can tell the sprocket disengaged from the splines. I'll get it on the work stand tonight then try hand shifting as well as drain the balance of oil to see if I have metal.

happend to a friend SV650.

put the collar/bushing back on(if not damaged),new seal....put the sprocket back on with a new nut and washer and go ride ;)

• Like 1