Sign in to follow this  

yz125 or yz250

hey guys im currently looking for a new bike i broke it down to two options. ive been riding for 7 years now and currently own a crf150rb expert. im 16 5,6 125 pounds. im looking at a yz125 or 250. ive out grown my 150r and need to upgrade. theres an 05 yz250 looks clean and i want to trade. but my father thnks otherwise hes spoken to his coworkers and they say im not ready for a 250 2t. to get a 250f or a 1252t. i disagree and want this 250 bad! please help me out with your opinions. 

p.s ive ridden 125s and 250 2ts just cruising around my neighbor hood.

125 man, the 250 when you grab a handful of throttle will hurt you so much more than a 125. ride that 125 for a couple years get used to a 2t and the hit then move up. I know it sucks to hear it, and everytime i told my old man this it tasted like razor blades in lemon juice, he (your dad) is right and a 250 would be a pretty big jump. 

remember its not your last bike, and getting the 125 will be a great bike to learn on, and then when you go to the 250 you can fine tune your skills. And I'm not saying i know it all either, theres always something to learn, always something to fine tune. 

• Like 3

Ahh man thanks I guess I'll listen to my pops

probably smart, my uncle who has ridden for quiet a while got real hurt couple years back i think, 2012, he was on the track, didn't enter the whoops properly or something his boot slipped off the peg and he grabbed a handful of throttle front end came up, his toe got caught on the top of a whoop, broke his tibia and fibia and 4 metacarpals in his foot. they are not forgiving bikes.

now if you really wanna go buck wild there is a mystical unicorn of raw angry power called the cr500. thats a bike i don't even wanna ride, tried it, crapped my pants, was done haha.

• Like 1

I agree with the 125. It's not just about the power, a 125/250 is physically bigger which can also make it a handful.

• Like 2

My YZ125 is fresh with pro circuit pipe and silencer, V Force reeds, carb set up properly. The bike is fast and super fun. I ride it with way more confidence than my friends 05 YZ250 and thus i am way faster on it. It is a little angry in the woods but it is still super fun. I wouldn't trade it for a 250. I wiegh 155. There is a reason Musquin plays on an SX150 and Basher built a YZ125, they are super fun

• Like 2

125. I have ridden both a lot. I have a 125 as my woods bike now. It will make you a much better rider than someone who simply try's to hang on to a 250. Then move up when you are better. If you find yourself wanting to move up early, go ride some tougher terrain.

Anyone can ride a 250 around on roads in in a field. Be the guy who can ride one well.

• Like 2

hey guys im currently looking for a new bike i broke it down to two options. ive been riding for 7 years now and currently own a crf150rb expert. im 16 5,6 125 pounds. im looking at a yz125 or 250. ive out grown my 150r and need to upgrade. theres an 05 yz250 looks clean and i want to trade. but my father thnks otherwise hes spoken to his coworkers and they say im not ready for a 250 2t. to get a 250f or a 1252t. i disagree and want this 250 bad! please help me out with your opinions. 

p.s ive ridden 125s and 250 2ts just cruising around my neighbor hood.

This might sound crazy but im going to guess at this point your father knows you better than we do. Im also going to guess that he did a better job of describing your abilities to his coworkers than you did. At this point I would imagine his coworkers know you, your riding abilities, better than we do so Im going to say go with what his coworkers suggest. I know that’s almost entirely based on assumptions but do you believe that’s really that far from reality?