Sign in to follow this  

2 stroke bottom end and top question

on a 2 stroke, convential style reed cylinder, if a few small sand grit pebbles got into the back of the carb and maybe sucked into the intake track and into the motor, will they get stuck in the bottom end crank bearings? or the the top end? or lodged anywhere else? should the top end be removed and cleaned with solvent just to make sure theres none in there?   thanks

Edited by bigdaddykane93

Yes, they could be anywhere or if you are really, really lucky, simply pass through. Remember what Clint said. Do ya feel lucky, well do ya?

You could try and flushing the engine but the safest way would be a tear down, careful cleaning and reassembly.

• Like 1

im just worried about scoring the cylinder or them going into the crank bearings. im not even sure if theres any in there at all ...I only found a few at the back of the carb and 1 score line mark on the piston skirt below the ring when I looked in the exhaust hole. normally id pull the top end fill and flip the motor while rotating the crank to ensure its clean. but I cant pull the motor now..... is there another way to clean it?

abragratis.jpgshathappens1.gifYou will defo need to pull that jug! 2-strokes pull more vaccum than a hoover! Anything that passes the reed block goes straight to the crank, and other internals! That's why you mix oil with gas, it lubes all mechanicals in said motor! Clean that puppy out!