Sign in to follow this  

Pipe for 14 rmz450

Thinking of getting a pipe for the zook next year. Wanted to get thoughts and suggestions from you guys on which one you recommend? Also, my bike has had the moto lab remap, will that need adjusted to accommodate an after market pipe?

No it won't need to be mapped again. Stock pipe is really just about as good as aftermarket.

Only real benefit is weight. If you get a titanium pipe it will weigh substantially less than stock. 

Personally, I like FMF can with PB header. Ti, of course.

I would consult Tom on if your motorcycle would need a remap with the aftermarket exhaust that you choose... Most of the aftermarket exhaust will increase range on power curve in some fashion and add a small amount of HP while it wont be significant it will be better. SS would be my choice for the simple fact they hold up better with the brackets being welded to the can. Carbon fiber is pop riveted and in the past most TI systems were also, I haven't looked at any current ones lately to see if that still holds true. The pop riveted brackets on the cans has been a weak link

• Like 1

I had FMF on my Kawi and got my Suzuki with the Yosh on it. The Yosh fit and finish, I would say, surpasses FMF. I can't speak to performance because they were two different bikes.

• Like 1

I would consult Tom on if your motorcycle would need a remap with the aftermarket exhaust that you choose... Most of the aftermarket exhaust will increase range on power curve in some fashion and add a small amount of HP while it wont be significant it will be better. SS would be my choice for the simple fact they hold up better with the brackets being welded to the can. Carbon fiber is pop riveted and in the past most TI systems were also, I haven't looked at any current ones lately to see if that still holds true. The pop riveted brackets on the cans has been a weak link

You are correct. Brackets and end cap are riveted onto my can. So that still holds true. Fortunately I have not had any issues so far.

FWIW: I think an aftermarket can is worth the price tag on the RMZ. The OEM muffler is very restrictive. An aftermarket can of any kind will broaden the powerband and you will also likely gain a little over rev. I don't think brand matters much. They are all good. If you want smooth power go Yosh, if you want a little more bark go with the FMF. The header makes virtually no difference. 

Edited by BDubb106

Bdubb,

Thats what i wanted to hear. Dumb question but, do you know of any issues of bolting to the stock header with an aftermarket can?

That is just my personal opinion. To answer your question. Nope... they all sell the slip on by itself, which will save you some money. Bolts directly up to the stock header. Then if something happens to your header you just buy the aftermarket header to match.