Sign in to follow this  

bought some cable lube, tool is crap

Ordered a new throttle cable and wanted to lube it and my clutch cable so i ordered this http://www.motosport.com/champions-choice-cable-luber-kit to do the job.. all i can say, is it SUCKS! i put the tool on the end of the cable and all it does is spray out the end beside the cable. I am pretty sure my mental capacity is such that it is obvious as to the proper way to put the cable in the tool and then tighten the clamp around the cable and the sheath.. However, when I stick the little red tube from the can into the hole.. it seems like all the pressure escapes up near me.. and I gotta say.. cable lube tastes horrible! Does the Motion Pro tool work better? i did a search on here about cable lube and I saw quite a few different opinions.. I would like to stick with something marketed as cable lube and not cain wax, white lithium grease washed through with wd-40 (crap), or 3N1 oil.. 

thanks!

I've had this kind for many years:

X001-Y001.jpg

I've never even seen one like that.

And Liquid Wrench cable and chain lube.  Works great

Edited by cjjeepercreeper
  • Like 1

I believe the above one is the motion pro unit and looking here   http://www.motosport.com/champions-choice-cable-luber-kit?AID=10724888&PID=3329601&SID=ih2qvpl19g0004is006bf&utm_source=CJ&utm_medium=Affiliates&utm_campaign=Affiliates&commsource=cj IMO they both look functionally the same.

I'm using one pretty much the same as both of these and yes it can be a bit messy.

When I do my clutch cable......

I disconnect from both end's.

At the bar end I pull the inner cable out as far as it can go, then put on the tool and slightly tighten it, then push it down so it just sits on the outer housing. I then tighten the tool, insert the thin tube for the lube in tool, then put the tube into the lube nozzle. With the cable vertical, I gently spray in some lube in a couple of quick short squirts. Some lune usually lube comes of the tool. I then loosen the tool slightly and work the inner cable in and out a few times, then repeat until I get some lube out of the bottom of the cable.

This can actually be easier with 2 people and after writing this it sounds and feels way more complicated than it actually is.

IMO - For lube I have only used WD40 once and that was when I realized my clutch cable was basically rusted and almost seized inside the outer housing. I literally had red rust coming out the cable. This was a quick fix while I was waiting for a new cable to come in. I now use Maxima MPPL which is designed to displace water and seems to not pick up dust/dirty and is nice and slippery.  I know give the clutch side a lube fairly frequently and will replace (maybe yearly) if starts feeling hard to pull.

And yes there are lots of opinions on if to and what lube

for 8 bux, ill happily pick that up.. I've got lots of MP stuff ( waiting for my motion pro suspension bearing tool kit to arrive :D ). i had doubts when i bought that non-name brand tool.

I'm pretty sure the thing on the top of the can in the link is going to be pretty close the the motion pro one.

I've had mine for 10 years and bought it to do mountain bike cables when I was into that back in the day.

These tools are functionally the same and IMO even when you have it installed correctly your going to get some lube coming out of the tool

the directions for the kit i linked in the OP, said to spray for 5 or so seconds.. i did this and left it hanging up, went inside and ate dinner. went back to the garage after dinner and still had nothing coming out of the opposite end.. sprayed it another 5 or so seconds.. hung it back up and started fiddling with other stuff. the can is almost empty and i never had anything come out the other end of the cable... which leads me to believe that all the pressure and fluid is escaping out of the tool.. when you use the motion pro tool, how long do you spray into it before you notice lube coming out of the end of the cable? 

Ya as I posted for me I give it a couple of quirks squirts. Pull the can off, loosen the tool, work the inner cable back and forth, and repeat. I might have to do this 5 or 6 times before lube comes out the bottom.

Even without the tool, you can spray a bit of lube into the housing, work the inner in/out and repeat. You should eventually get lube out the bottom

i bought this one, Ive had all types, they all leak, i always tightly tightly wrap a rag about it and squeeze it hard.

pp111_MP_CableLuber.jpg

I have the pj1 cable lube, its crap. Best lube i have found is maxima chain wax, just blast the line clean with chain wax, and it sets up nice and stays in the line keeping it smoother, longer.

• Like 1

I replaced clutch cable recently and used only a piece of clear tubing over the end of the cable. Sprayed the lube...watched it trickle out the other end.

I have not lubed a cable in along time. Did years ago but all it did was make a mess. For the price of a cable I just replace them.

• Like 1

i bought this one, Ive had all types, they all leak, i always tightly tightly wrap a rag about it and squeeze it hard.

pp111_MP_CableLuber.jpg

I have the pj1 cable lube, its crap. Best lube i have found is maxima chain wax, just blast the line clean with chain wax, and it sets up nice and stays in the line keeping it smoother, longer.

That's the same one I have and just realized looking at both pics that it has 1 screw as opposed to the 2 screws  but i agree they are all going to leak

I bought one and couldn't get it to work either.  I gave up and bought a bike with a hydraulic clutch

I've used the "motion pro" cable luber (w/2 screws) & yes it will leak especially if it's an older cable that's not been lubed since cable was installed. Like FilterX says if you will just work the cable back n forth in the casing it will eventually (depending on the condition of cable) penetrate it's way thru.

What I do is screw it down tightly on 1 end & give it a cpl squirts (while working the cable back n forth) then attach it to the other (opposite) end, repeats first steps. Most of the time it will (white lithium grease) will start coming out the other end.

I have it screwed down tight (over the cable) & it'll build up pressure inside the cable.

It can be a little messier with some more than other.

I have been able to salvage a few cables, that anyone else would have given up on n trashed them.

But Hey, this is just my opinion

Thanks n keep on riding em

Ty-250-Dav

• Like 1

I have the single screw type. Bought it forty years ago. No leaks... when properly installed on the cable. Jam the cable too far on and the port hits the outer housing. It must go onto the inner cable and then be able to flow between the inner and outer. The outer should be inserted just enough to be past the ridge molded on the ribber. When the screw is tightened, the outer cable should be somewhat firmly 'attached'. If it can move, either the screw is not tight enough, the cable not in right or the cable is simply too small.

I never use lube though, only solvent to flush the crap out. Most cables are Teflon lined and all lubing does is flush out the dirt (good) then leave behind stuff that increases drag (bad).

As I posted, I started using Maxima MPPL to occasionally lube my clutch cable. I can't say that it does not degrade the Teflon but it feels super slippery, not tacky and is designed to displace water.

This isn't a solvent but IMO works extremely well as a cable lube.

I mainly use this after I wash my bike to displace water on the chain before i use chain lube and again IMO works extremely well.

mppl-can.png