Sign in to follow this  

XCF-W Locked ECU question

I'm extremely close to pulling the trigger on a 350 XCF-W.  One thing I'm concerned about is pulling the trigger and dumping a large amount of cash on a bike with a locked ECU.  I'm used to rejetting carbs as I see fit.  I've heard that there may be some lean spots in the stock XCF-W maps and that because they are locked you have no options.  But I've been out of riding dirt bikes for 20 years so I thought I'd ask the question here.

Is the mapping on the XCF-W less than ideal?

Is there any way around the locked ECU (i.e. like buying a European ecu?)

Thanks!

Doc

Dealers can load any map.

I've heard that any dealer caught can lose their KTM affiliation and also be subject to huge EPA fines. I'll definitely ask my dealer before I buy but from what I am hearing, since 2012 it's unlikely a dealer is going to help me. Have I heard wrong?

Assuming the dealer is willing, how does it work? For Yamaha you buy a tuner and tune the fuel map as you see fit. So does the dealer just unlock the ECU and the I can do the mapping myself with some software? Or do I tell the dealer to fatten up a certain range and they do it?

Edited by Doc_d

I've heard that any dealer caught can lose their KTM affiliation and also be subject to huge EPA fines. I'll definitely ask my dealer before I buy but from what I am hearing, since 2012 it's unlikely a dealer is going to help me. Have I heard wrong?

Assuming the dealer is willing, how does it work? For Yamaha you buy a tuner and tune the fuel map as you see fit. So does the dealer just unlock the ECU and the I can do the mapping myself with some software? Or do I tell the dealer to fatten up a certain range and they do it?

it kinda goes down like a drug deal, keep it on the hush hush if you are friends with the dealer they can hook you up. If they have good mechanics then they know how to map your bike and adjust your TPS.. I was told it's a $25,000 per cylinder fine to the dealer if they get caught. I don't think many dealers will do it. To risky

Some dealers just install the base map, and some techs adjust the base map also. so you don't know exactly what you get, unless you ask.  after wards there is UST software to be able to make your own changes.

The biggest benefit to stock map, is richer idle, 1/4 throttle(the mostly) , mid slightly, full throttle slightly, and acceleration slightly. Over due one of these and you'll actually lose power rather than gain. as the bike is not severely lean in all areas, and mainly why I cringe at wildly out of spec tps settings, as you get over loaded on fuel in the wrong area.

my understanding prior to 02 sensors, there was a 2012 race map for ktm, if any base map would be closest out of the gate for best power, I would think that would be the choice.

but Ive never tested a base euro map, verses the 2012 euro race map.

Double check me, but I thought only the epa restricted (street legal) bikes have locked maps, the off road only bikes are adjustable ?

Double check me, but I thought only the epa restricted (street legal) bikes have locked maps, the off road only bikes are adjustable ?

My understanding they locked the xcw also, for green sticker legal

• Like 1

Ahh.. That would explain it.. There is also the option of the piggy back tuners, like the JD.

Also, even with the stock maps theses things run great, I would not let that stop you from buying the bike. If you've been out of the game for 20 years, you're in for a really pleasant surprise with current stock bikes.

Thanks guys.  I'm not really so much concerned about power as I am about driveability/rideabilty.  More specifically I'm interested in making sure the bike runs as cool as possible and is as stall resistant as possible.  Hopefully the EPA approved map isn't too bad but I just wanted to cover my bases before I drop this kind of money.  

After wards there is UST software to be able to make your own changes.

Wow I just looked this up and right on KTM's website page for the 350 XCF-W it says...

In addition, the optional User-Setting-Tool provides the ability to readout engine data with a laptop and change the ignition and injection mapping with just a few mouse clicks.

So now I'm confused.  That would lead me to believe that the ECU is not locked.  I mean if I can buy the UST and change anything I wanted that's the definition of not being locked.  Yet everyone is saying they are locked.  Hmmmm...  The plot thickens.  I wonder if the website is wrong or if they changed their policy in 2016.

Edited by Doc_d

Easy solution; find out if the UST works for the 2016 models.  Call your local dealer and ask, they should know.  I wonder if it's locked to an EPA approved range? 

It works with unlocked maps. It's a generically worded manual.

Edit - oh, I see you said website. I wouldn't get your hopes up. The ARB rules are getting more stringent, not less.

Edited by KennyMc

Thanks guys. I'm not really so much concerned about power as I am about driveability/rideabilty. More specifically I'm interested in making sure the bike runs as cool as possible and is as stall resistant as possible. Hopefully the EPA approved map isn't too bad but I just wanted to cover my bases before I drop this kind of money.

Wow I just looked this up and right on KTM's website page for the 350 XCF-W it says...

So now I'm confused. That would lead me to believe that the ECU is not locked. I mean if I can buy the UST and change anything I wanted that's the definition of not being locked. Yet everyone is saying they are locked. Hmmmm... The plot thickens. I wonder if the website is wrong or if they changed their policy in 2016.

I think you're worried over nothing. My stock 500 exc ran great and didn't have any stall issues, and it's the ca street legal model. Can get anymore strict than that.

Have you ridden one that has stall issues or runs to hot? What was the temp it was running?

Edited by Deepseadan

I think you're worried over nothing. My stock 500 exc ran great and didn't have any stall issues, and it's the ca street legal model. Can get anymore strict than that.

Have you ridden one that has stall issues or runs to hot? What was the temp it was running?

There is no difference in your CA street legal model and the rest of ours across the country, the 500 is sold as 50 state legal.  Like most everyone elses mine ran hot, flamed out and had a real sensitive throttle down low.  Remap and a TPS tweak solved all of those issues.

• Like 1

There is no difference in your CA street legal model and the rest of ours across the country, the 500 is sold as 50 state legal. Like most everyone elses mine ran hot, flamed out and had a real sensitive throttle down low. Remap and a TPS tweak solved all of those issues.

What year is your bike? My 16 seemed pretty flawless but I've heard a lot of people say that their bikes run hot before they remap/tps. What temp was your bike running before and after the remap/tps adjustment? I'm not sure where or how to check my engine temp other than feel of maybe the pipe, but not sure how to officially check temp.

Wonder how many dealers said they flashed ECU and didn't actually do it... :thinking:

BINGO!!!!    I wonder than myself

• Like 1

Wonder how many dealers said they flashed ECU and didn't actually do it... :thinking:

I bet you're right. Especially if they had people pay cash.
  • Like 1