Sign in to follow this  

How's an older bike weigh less?

According to Google, my 2006 yz250f weighs less than a 2016 yz250f? The difference is a lot actually. 206 pounds vs 234 to be exact. What gives? I think I'll stick with my 06 a little longer.

According to Google, my 2006 yz250f weighs less than a 2016 yz250f? The difference is a lot actually. 206 pounds vs 234 to be exact. What gives? I think I'll stick with my 06 a little longer.

also on this website.. http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/77729/buyers-guide-specs/2016-yamaha-yz250f/

under the "dry weight" row.. it lists 231lbs but next to that weight it has "wet" in parenthesis. it seems that everyone has moved away from stating the dry weight.. since wet weight is actually what you are going to feel.. idk too many people that ride a bike dry..

So oil and gas bring it to 234 ish from 206? That's like 30 pounds of oil and gas....

oil, gas, and antifreeze do

So oil and gas bring it to 234 ish from 206? That's like 30 pounds of oil and gas....

a gallon of gas is about 8lbs (bike holds 2 gallons), a liter of 10w-40 is 2lbs, and a quart of 50/50 antifreeze is 2.34lbs (i used the coolant capacity of my 04 yz250f for this) 

so.. 16+2+2.34= 20.34lbs 

granted, a bike holds just over a liter of oil, and im sure you can get a little over 2 gallons of gas in the tank, and i'm actually surprised the coolant volume is that low.. seems like it holds more than that.. according to the articles.. there is 4 lbs unaccounted for.. 

Add for the oil in the forks and shock as well.

+ the chain lube and air filter oil while your at it!

Edited by mlatour

5lbs is roughly added for the EFI too...

Oh, and Google isn't always right...

It's not?  :crazy:

But on the serious side, it is a little disturbing to me, being 5'-9" and sensitive to weight that bikes are getting taller, heavier, and more complicated.  I recently picked up a 2006 yz 125.  It's sobering to ride that bike and realize how heavy my 2014 yz250f really is.  I don't know if it's true, but I've heard that the fx is taller so they could fit all the stuff under the seat.  It's taller than the yzf for sure.  The average Japanese man is 5'-8".  They can't touch the ground on an fx.    

• Like 1

Mainly wet weight vs. dry weight. 

The 2006 was measured with out coolant, oil, gas. Add those and you'll be a lot closer.

Fuel injection also adds a little.

Edited by ericz103
  • Like 1

Just went to yamahas web site.... in 2009 they started going by wet weight, and the weight went up 22lbs(from 2008 dry weight).