Sign in to follow this  

2006 KX450F crank replacement

To make an aftermarket crank assembly compatible with an '06 kx450 you have to replace at least one of the gears and sub the balancer gear (located behind the flywheel) with an '07 gear. Is that the only substitution necessary to make the '07 hot rods crank assembly compatible with the '06?

Anyone know from first-hand experience?

Edited by Jduggs37

send it to Millenium Technologies and have it rebuilt.  Any of the Wiesco or Hot Rod cranks are a bit on the garbage side.  Better off haveing a good rod installed on the factory crank webs.

Do you maybe have part numbers of the gears thats needs to be replaced?

Does anyone have experience? Is the 2006 motor running smooth with the 2007/2008 hotrods crank and the gears from the 2007/2008model. IMG_2707.JPG

Edited by Stefan9006

I've been running my crank this way for a while now with no issues. I ride mx tracks mostly. I can't remember the exact part number but I believe it's the gear on the balance shaft - 59051A.

So its only the one gear that needs to be changed?

22 hrs so far.  No issues at all.

I had a terrible knocking sound when i purchased this bike used.  I initially hoped/planned on a top end only, but I got into it and discovered the crank needed attention. I purchased an '07 Hot Rods Crank from RMMC and installed it in my shed.  I used the shop manual and it was pretty easy.  I did use a crank splitting tool and a clutch holder - not the vice grip clamp type, but the one made by EBC.  That's it for the special tools.

I did use zip-lock baggies to keep clusters of components together (bolts, pins, seals, etc).  I used a marker to label the baggies so I wouldn't forget.  Just made the assembly easier for me.

The newer hotrods cranks are good stuff. It will be fine. Make sure you clean the oil screen really good when you have it apart.