Sign in to follow this  

520 RFS Bogging HELP PLEASE!

Replaced, spark plug, ignition coil, cleaned carb and accelerator pump(didn't work so replete with carb from a perfect running bike with no help), adjusted squirt time, adjusted air fuel, put in different gas, put solid power to the battery, checked the valves, tried cleaning air filter and still runs the same. What am I missing? What else could this possibly be? I'm out of ideas

Did the problem start suddenly? When it cuts out from blipping the throttle, is it on the stand, or are you riding it? Is it possible the high rpm cut out is the rev limiter?

Yes started suddenly, bike is street legal, rode ot to my shop (8 miles) with 0 problems on Thursday and did an oil change, got on it Friday morning and the problem was suddenly there. This bike normally does 5th gear wheelies, now it won't come up in any gear because it cuts out before it makes enough power. Definitely not the Rev limiter

I have this problem on a stand and when riding

You could trim your plug lead a bit. The wires inside it can break. 

The stators from that era were known to go bad as well.

• Like 1

If it started suddenly then something is definitely amiss. Pop the fuel line off of the carb and check if there is good flow, maybe the in tank filter is clogged. The second carb you tried, was it off of the same model bike?

Check out the ignition pickup coil, the one that tells the ignition system where the crank shaft is. I've read about a few of those going bad.

To check the stator, which is a great idea, there should be instructions in the shop manual. Normally you check the impedance values of the coils, the manual will tell you which wires to check and that the values should be.

Edited by sirthumpalot