Sign in to follow this  

Electrical short/arc at clutch lever...any ideas why?

I noticed a weird sound and wrote it off as a loose bolt near the radiator. I checked all the bolts then i put my ear down near the sound and realized the sound was an electrical spark arcing between the metal components of the clutch perch and lever.

I figured it was the safety switch. Bypassed it and still the same. Anybody have this happen before? What was the problem? The bike runs fine, but i am a bit scared to use it until i get it fixed. Please help.

Really hard to say what it might be with out seeing it, but I would suggest:

1. Taking a look at the ignition coil. Make sure the lead to the spark plug is not frayed or worn through, and that the ground connection to the frame is clean and solid.

2. Take the front number plate off and check the wiring harness carefully for loose, frayed, or worn wires.

3. Remove the gas tank and do the same.

4. Check the area behind the air box and do the same.

Somewhere along that, you'll probably locate the problem.   If not, it's going to take some electrical diagnosis.

Jim.

Jim is right

You will probably find a worn through wire jacket near the counter shaft sprocket or behind the plastics

Good thought...I din't think to mention down there.

Jim.

I have had the worn wire near countershaft before...that was a brainteaser...but that was tge first thing i checked. Still havent found what i am looking for...hopefully today.

My................WR450 (gasp) used to do that right up until the wire coming out of the stator let loose. That happens when you forget to tuck said wire BEHIND the bracket in there when you put the stator back in after floating the ground :doh: It only took about 4 months for it to happen as well. It let loose on a trail we can't mention up in KM :D