Sign in to follow this  

Looking for a beat truck for under 1k.

Alright so next year at college I'll be in an apartment with a motorcycle garage and 1 parking spot. Well there's a motocross track only about 10-15 miles down the highway and a national forest about 20 miles away to ride in from campus.

Back home I could borrow my dads truck to take the bike somewhere but I obviously don't have that option anymore. I've been driving myself nuts these past 2 years in the dorms not being able to ride.

So I have some extra money to spend and thought about getting a beater truck for the single purpose of taking my bike to the track.

It's only worth it to me if I spend 1k or less on this truck. Idc how bad it looks I just need it to get me to the tracks next year and that's it. Just a internally strong beat truck for under 1k. It definitely won't be my DD so it won't rack up many miles.

Is it even possible to get a sound truck for less than 1k that isnt about to blow or are old trucks just complete money pits?

Edited by RedFries3

Maybe an old Ranger or S10. I would buy a civic and just jam it in the back. Me and a buddy used to go to races in a Ford Festiva. 2 bikes, gear, tools, gas, sleeping bags and a race tent... You had to be creative but it's what we did...

+2 on the ranger, s10, Tacoma, etc.

Just keep checking craigslist daily. Good deals can be found, but you need to be able to be the first one to call if you want one. If you don't have one already, find a trustworthy mechanic to check the vehicle out. Look for things like leaking fluids, dirty oil/filter, air filter irregularly warn tires. Is the vehicle currently registered or has it been sitting.

Ok thanks for the replies guys. I'll keep looking around on craigslist then. I'm not set on getting a truck though I'm just exploring options on how to get my riding fix next season.

Thanks again though guys at least I know I could get a truck in that price range if it came down to it!

Yeah the van is a great idea. But I just looked up insurance prices and didn't realize how bad I overlooked that. Liability would be all I'd get of course but even with that it would still cost more per year to insure the truck/van than I even payed for it. That's going to be a no go for me haha

$1000 you can depend on to travel to a ride and then get home. Regularly?  No way. Cheap HF trailer is the answer.

• Like 1

Yeah the truck idea is pretty much over. I'm looking at motorcycle trailers now that I could just stick on the back of my accord. Definitely wouldn't look as good as in the back of a truck but it'd get the job done

• Like 1

I have a trailer that I pull with my Mazda Protege.  The Trailer is not much bigger then the bike.  I can store it vertical in the garage or with the bike on it so it doesn't really take up much room.  I often park the whole rig in a single parking space.  I still get about 29 mpg, sometimes 30.

0905-115652_zpsvktsmm9c.jpg

0305-074128_zpsfjd3f3v9.jpg

• Like 1

Both of my trucks cost a grand. They didn't work at the time though. Accords are very capable of pulling small trailers and you save all of the costs of the extra rig. Maintenance, tires, fuel, insurance etc.