Sign in to follow this  

Reset 2001 WR pilot screw now the bike won't start

I seated the screw, then backed it out 1 and 3/4 turns like the manual says, and now I can't get the bike to start no matter how hard I try.  I don't remember where it was set before, when it did start up.  I am only trying to get the mixture right because I thought it may be too rich or lean, causing the pipe to get cherry red real quick.  The red seems to go away when riding,  just gets red quick if it idles more than a few minutes in still air.  Don't know if I should back out the screw more or check something else.  I tilted the carb to get at the screw but it was put back all straight and fine. 2001 WR250f, hopefully I can start it before my right leg falls off. 

WR Pipe.JPG

You don't let a 4 stoke sit and idle for a few minutes! I see a lot of guys that let there bikes idle as they are getting suited up. Try 2 to 2 1/4 turns out

• Like 1

Red pipe is normal but as mentioned, not great to let her idle for that long.  30 seconds is plenty.  If you need 2 plus turns on the screw I'm thinking you may want a bigger pilot jet.  Just a thought.

• Like 1

I have an 02 wr. If you don't have air going through your radiator and over your pipe, your bike will get hot, careful not to melt vent hoses. Lean runs hotter than rich. My guess is your are lean. Use cold start knob and even try cracking the throttle to initially richen mixture.

• Like 1

Stock or after market fuel screw?

Sure it was gently seated?

Sure you opened it only 1.75 turns?

I trust you did not turn the idle speed screw/knob, right?

Is the hot start properly seated? The plastic cable holder is easy to break when twisting the carb and it is also possible to kink the cable and prevent the plunger from fully seating.

• Like 1

Stock or after market fuel screw?

Sure it was gently seated?

Sure you opened it only 1.75 turns?

I trust you did not turn the idle speed screw/knob, right?

Is the hot start properly seated? The plastic cable holder is easy to break when twisting the carb and it is also possible to kink the cable and prevent the plunger from fully seating.

It's  the stock screw and was gently seated.  Yes I opened it only 1.75 and did not change the idle speed.  So, I'll check all this again and include the hot start holder, and maybe try richening it and report back. 

It's  the stock screw and was gently seated.  Yes I opened it only 1.75 and did not change the idle speed.  So, I'll check all this again and include the hot start holder, and maybe try richening it and report back. 

No, do not 'richen it'. Realize .25 turns is a minuscule amount and only makes a slight difference in idle 'quality. 1.75 turns should fire the bike up just fine.

You must of messed something else up.

Kinked throttle cable

Vacuum cap off

Wire unplugged

Did you confirm you have a spark?

TRy a new spark plug?

• Like 1

What a mistake.  Didn't notice the fuel level had gotten very low.  Now I know that even when there's a tiny bit of gas sloshing in the tank it may not be enough to start.  I went and got gas and.......first kick it was running.  I'm embarrassed but I gotta take the blame.  I hooked up a tach to see it was about 600 rpm too high, evern after warmed up so I backed it down to around 1800 and ......lesson learned.  I'm a kick start fan again.