Sign in to follow this  

Stripped nuts

I'm reattaching the engine mount brackets on my 2005. Both the nuts stripped out when torquing them. The manual required torquing to 49 nm.

Has anyone else had difficulty obtaining this without stripping the nuts? Cheers.

Yeah was OEM hardware. Replaced after stripping with high tensile nuts with nylon locks. Same thing. Going to borrow a mates torque wrench and have another go

Ya I meant to say something about your torque wrench. What kind is it? What kind of quality and condition is it? You definitely want to trust that it's calibrated. That's one tool I do not skimp on. And it needs to be stored properly too.

Maybe consider completely replacing it. If you have the money Snap-on is where you want to be. There are a few other brands that compare just not as popular. If you're on a budget at the very least go for Craftsman. Their quality and reputation is not what it used to be but still better than something you'd find at Harbor Freight and easy to find.

I've had good experience with Tekton torque wrenches.  They are very affordable and good quality.  I have three of them and periodically check them against my Craftsman and they are spot on.

Well I assume someone means the threads of the bolt. How the f$&@ do you round the bolt heads even with 100lbs if the socket it correct?

Checked/calibrated my wrench against my mates and all good. I'm referring to the threads of the nuts. Replaced the flange nuts with high tensile flange nuts and torqued up easily. Unsure why the OEM striped out so easily.