Sign in to follow this  

50/50 off road and road use, which model drz would you buy?

So the more I read the more I learn about the drz. I have plenty of off-road opportunity near my house, but would also like to use the bike on the road now and again. If I'm honest, I'm not going to do a huge amount of either....

So, which drz model would you buy? I'm reading about some wheel changing issues on the sm model (rotor sizes etc) ideally I'd like to change from road going to off-road wheels relatively easily (bearing in mind I'm not a serious off-roarer and will be mostly ripping up dirt in fields) but also I'll only be using in on the road now and again.

Your input is appreciated, Phil

So the more I read the more I learn about the drz. I have plenty of off-road opportunity near my house, but would also like to use the bike on the road now and again. If I'm honest, I'm not going to do a huge amount of either....

So, which drz model would you buy? I'm reading about some wheel changing issues on the sm model (rotor sizes etc) ideally I'd like to change from road going to off-road wheels relatively easily (bearing in mind I'm not a serious off-roarer and will be mostly ripping up dirt in fields) but also I'll only be using in on the road now and again.

Your input is appreciated, Phil

IF you have the same size rotors on both sets of wheels, it's a 20 minute process. 

50/50 tires like the Shinko 244 are fine for exploring, but offroad (this means there is NO ROAD) is a lot more fun with a knobbie. 

The 21/18" wheels are much better at offroading, still work just fine onroad, and the E/S models come with the better swingarm. The E/S models are usually cheaper too, because people think street tires make a dualsport look better, or something. ;-) 

an S ... but thats me, a street bike i like to keep looking titties and try to even avoid wet pavement, ya know, people are looking at it ect .. a dirtbike or dirt oriented machine actually looks cooler caked with mud lol, but yeah the little wheels and street tires arnt for dirt, sure you can go down some fire roads and trails, i can do that on my gigantic 1900 cruiser to if i want to get it looking like hell and spend a whole day cleaning it ...

• Like 2

Hey Phil, i am just down the road from you in Warrington, that is assuming you are still in liverpool.

Its a no brainer in the uk, you want a bike to rip on every now and again, on and off road, the S will do that fine and cost a lot less than an SM, the sm's only started in 2005.

Theres lots of early S models going for cheap but nearly all of the SM's are silly prices (apart from the 2005 on ebay now for £1600) and the SM's dont come with off road wheels so you would also need to buy them.

I'd try to find an E over an S, it has better carb, cams and compression, its faster than the S!!.

I have just converted an S into an SM and i was happy with it with a set of trail wing tyres (S wheels) on the road,i don't go off road, it was no fun at first when i had nobblys on it, in fact it was quite scary and dangerous.

So you may struggle to find tyres you are happy with that will do both jobs well.

I think you guys can plate the "real" E over there?  If that's so get an E and buy some 17's to swap back and forth.

We can plate any bike over here :smirk: , but everything is expensive compared to the US.

Since I bought a dedicated off road bike (kdx220) I'm trying to find a good set up for the DRZ to strike a balance between exploring fire trails and riding pavement.

I have the S model, I'm happy with 15/47 sprockets. Gonna try TKC80s for my next tires. For me this should be a pretty good set up 50/50 riding without the expense of buying extra wheels.

• Like 1

Hi guys, thanks a lot for your input so far. Bassit, thanks for your detailed post mate, good to know you're relatively local too! (ps what's your opinion of the high miler sm on ebay right now?)

Edited by liverpoolphil
  • Like 1

Phil , if you can afford it get an E and a second set of wheels . The S/SM have detuned motors and everyone ends up spending money to get there bike to go as good as an E . Or if the wheels are too much , you could run some dual purpose tyres , they can be surprisingly good on the road but leave a lot to be desired on the dirt , greg

• Like 2

Hi guys, thanks a lot for your input so far. Bassit, thanks for your detailed post mate, good to know you're relatively local too! (ps what's your opinion of the high miler sm on ebay right now?)

Sorry for the late reply.

I didn't notice any high miler on ebay unless you meant the one i mentioned.

I am no expert by the way, i'm here learning off the very helpful and knowledgeable people on here.

For me it depends on whether you like getting your hands dirty (as i do) as to how high a mileage and what condition bike you buy, i went for a 2001 in near original condition with 10000 miles and have spent about the same again on parts to get it how i wanted it, whilst at the same time getting to know the bike, as in how it works, how it comes apart and knowing it is greased with good bearings, good brakes and all in good working order, i now know the bike and feel like it is mine!!

As a side note, i went to trade in my 2001s against a 2008sm, i haggled for £1500 for my bike and was going to pay £1500, so £3000 for a 08sm with 95000 miles. It had more rust than mine on the frame and had obviously lived outside open to the elements, i walked away and at that moment decided to do the work on my 2001 instead.

• Like 1

Sorry for the late reply.

I didn't notice any high miler on ebay unless you meant the one i mentioned.

I am no expert by the way, i'm here learning off the very helpful and knowledgeable people on here.

For me it depends on whether you like getting your hands dirty (as i do) as to how high a mileage and what condition bike you buy, i went for a 2001 in near original condition with 10000 miles and have spent about the same again on parts to get it how i wanted it, whilst at the same time getting to know the bike, as in how it works, how it comes apart and knowing it is greased with good bearings, good brakes and all in good working order, i now know the bike and feel like it is mine!!

As a side note, i went to trade in my 2001s against a 2008sm, i haggled for £1500 for my bike and was going to pay £1500, so £3000 for a 08sm with 95000 miles. It had more rust than mine on the frame and had obviously lived outside open to the elements, i walked away and at that moment decided to do the work on my 2001 instead.

well put, interesting perspective

What parts did you upgrade vs. replace with OEM?

quite a few of the wear parts are parts you upgrade anyway right?

Cheers.

I have done a conversion from s to sm inc everything bar the frame, engine, electrics and switches, subframe and as of yet the rear shock and swinging arm, i have the shock and swingarm but the bolt is seized on my bike :( so is now on hold until i have some time to tackle it, all replacement parts were off a stolen recovered 08sm, plastics, seat and tank off a 2005 yellow sm.

The upgrades were new head bearings on the usd forks, a recon of the forks (not done by me), new seals, buffers? & oil, new fcr mx, a set of E cams, mcct, panama levers, new grips, rubber killers, braided lines & new chain and sprockets all parts that have been removed have been checked, cleaned and greased before putting back on using the correct crush washers, bolt replacement etc.

I now also have around 1/3rd of a spare drz, including a set of 18/21 wheels and 3 sets of plastics, 2 tanks...

I will be starting on the loctite fixes soon, this is a weekend bike that has very little use so no crazy rush. :goofy:

Nothing too serious but a good start to getting to know my bike and inspiring confidence on a 15 year old bike.

Edited by Bassit
  • Like 2