Sign in to follow this  

93 yz250 resto-mod.

I've recently acquired a 1993 yz250. Its battered and worn, but runs decently well. The previous owner put some modern graphics on it and basically bro'd it out trying to make it look like a newer bike. My plans are to make it distinctly unapologetically 90's. I will however be making sure its mechanically sound also, and intend to ride it often.

Heres how it sits currently:

BBC40650-A047-4822-A55C-2CA50FA34A96_zps

This is the over all look i'd like to emulate:

5D008B73-A1B0-422A-962F-FC6B2709FC81_zps

Thats a 91, which is a different body style bike.

Unfortunately they didnt do a red/white colorway that year, although the factory look isnt bad either imo:

AE779181-2D88-4C36-877A-1EA1105D796A_zps

Trouble is, although i've found the deltabox graphics and and a set of cool radiator shroud graphics for sale, i cant find the matching side panel graphics or anything that is similar enough to match:

CF43568B-4FCA-45AD-ACBC-ADB0754F9335_zps

And the only modernized readily available graphics i can find that i dont hate, i cant find, and really they're still too modern and the bike wouldnt have the nineties vibe i want, though for ease of process, i'd run them.

E815755B-D022-4371-99CA-E72267FC23F8_zps

I've already purchased brand new white ufo plastics. Very excited for this thing to not look like garbage.

• Like 1

Thats a great looking bike. Which seat cover did you ise? And did you have to do anything to your tank or was it already that nice?

• Like 1

Thats a great looking bike. Which seat cover did you ise? And did you have to do anything to your tank or was it already that nice?

Seat cover was on when I bought it, so I'm not sure where it came from. The entire bike was spray bombed when I bought it, so all I had to do was remove the protective layer of paint. Why somebody would paint a white tank white is beyond me. This is what I started with.

1447771190797.jpg

Cool to see that you did the purple frame. You almost have the enig lr bradshaw look other than the rear graphics

Cool to see that you did the purple frame. You almost have the enig lr bradshaw look other than the rear graphics

The emig/Bradshaw look was my goal for the build.

As for the purple frame, that is a bit of a mystery. I removed the blue spray paint and that is what I found under it. I'm 99% sure it is a factory purple finish. There are spots where it is worn down to bare steel and there are no other layers under the purple. I've also got a 94 yz250 subframe and the colors don't match at all. I've even had people say it might be an old factory bike because they were a purple color in 93, but not the same as the 94 purple.

Bradshaw factory 93 ride

10762479423_c263aaa136_b.jpg

Emig's factory 94 ride

6045256501_87d16bc091.jpg

My research says 93's had white frames, 94's the purple like yours, similar to the kawasaki purple, and 95's had the redish purple, nearly pink. My bike has a white frame.

Here's mine...

Man, your black bike has the graphic i found, but i still want to find a side graphic to match. I think it could look really neat with a purple or pink seat with white plastics and that graphic.

Kim at k-raegraphics did my Bradshaw graphics. She also made the fork guard decals for the black bike. She would be happy to make you a set and I'm sure she could duplicate the factory side panel graphics if you want them. Tell her Matt Duncker sent you.

• Like 1

Yeah i saw you post about that in another thread while searching. I guess i just need to contact her and ask about design and pricing.

Got to work on the bike today. Got it running decent, but still has a bog as you roll into the throttle. Going to try and move the main around tomorrow. Got to inspect the bike and see what all is done to it.

Pc pipe, unknown terrible silencer.

Boyeson reeds, have questions

Wiseco piston

Its been regeared, need to count teeth.

Protaper bars

Got all the plastics off, rear frame is broken, the bike was poorly neglected, will weld that up tomorrow to make it right, need to buy hardware too, its all mismatched right now, but better than zipties.

Previous owner said it needed reeds, when i pulled the reed cage, i noticed there was a small gap at the reed edge, i swapped them around, and now there is no gap. Do i still need new reeds or will this work for a while? Also will worn reeds make it bog and surge in power? It feels like jetting to me, but i've never really dealt with reeds and power valves before. Installed new plastics, still waiting on number plate. And will order some graphics soon i think. Cleaned it up some too. I feel that a full disassembly and service is well overdue, so i'll probably get started on that asap. Here's a couple updated photo's.

11A3C4A0-034D-41CD-A3A0-589E1057C14E_zps

764D3400-17D1-495A-9272-DF8345E93099_zps

• Like 1

Worn reeds will cause poor throttle response, so I'd ride it after flipping the reeds and see what you got before tapping into the carb. Flipping reeds is common practice, and I usually do it once or twice before replacing, but if they are just plain old and worn out, flipping them doesn't cut it. I like to do one thing at a time when it comes to tuning, helps me identify if I'm making steps in the right direction. Nothing worse than running like shit and thinking it could be a handful of different things.

I've got a couple decent number plates laying around if you need one...

Also, what makes you say the silencer is terrible? I need a PC pipe for my bike, would you be interested in trading for my FMF platinum fatty and powercore 2 silencer?

I've already ordered the number plate, should be here anyday now.

As for pipes, the rubber isolators are broken on my pipe, but it isnt bent or dinged. Im going to do some research on pipes for these things and i'll let you know about trading. I am looking for an fmf silencer though. This one appears to be stock, and it riveted together and looks like its never been repacked. Also bent, broken and ugly/rusty. Probably best to replace

Email me mduncker92@gmail.com if you want some pics of the silencer, I actually have 2 of them in good shape...

Bringing this back. Replaced a ton of intake parts, rejetted down to 330 main and 35 pilot, still feels rich, lowered needle all the way down. It feels great on the pipe, but bogs right as it starts to come on it. I cant get it to smoothly take power. Its super stuttery right before the powerband and i cant trail ride it like this. I dunno what else to do.

Also replaced reeds.

Compression test good

Fires right up.

Wont idle at all. Have to keep it running.

Edited by Avernier

Have you replaced the crank seals lately? Sounds like the right side may be sucking trans oil into the crankcase. Easy way to find out is to measure the amount of oil coming out of the trans when you change it. If the crank seal is bad it will have significantly less oil than you put in.

Also depends on what elevation you are riding at. I'm at 600 ft and my 93 likes between a 380 and a 400 main, needle on second clip, and the stock pilot.

So, the frame being white and scratched was bothering me. Also really ready for graphics on this thing. So I tore the bike down to nothing, cleaned every part, had the forks and rear shock rebuilt, and painted the frame purple. This is a woods bike so i refrained from using automotive base clear because i want touch ups to be easy. Luckily i found this valspar at lowes that matches really close to tht factory color. I cleared over it and i think it turned out really decent!

A6741B73-A196-4E57-BFB0-8E47557E1DF5_zps

999D7745-4ECF-48B8-BBFC-E8B8E011DB7D_zps

12D052DA-EB20-4634-B754-B381A4052936_zps

Feels great to have it clean and crud free. Im going to do the bradshaw graphics on this bike. One thing a friend and i noticed is that all of the bradshaw graphics kits that people use tend to look red, they were actually like a magenta pink. A few of the old ads in magazines show it, and i went back and watched about 4 rounds of 1993 supercross and sure enough, that bike was magenta/blue graphics on. White plastics with a purple frame. So im going to have my graphics made that way and it should look excellent.

Edited by Avernier
  • Like 2