Sign in to follow this  

Convert DRZ400SM to mostly dirt riding?

HI Everyone,

Thanks for your help in advance.

Im looking at a 2012 DRZ400SM (supermoto) for sale in my area of ontario for about 3000 canadain dollars,   it seems like a really really great deal although 25000kilometers on the bike it looks like its been set up for street only riding.  the seller mentioned aftermarket exhaust and a jet kit and it has decals giving a bit of a race bike look.  it is super clean, hand guards, light kit, led blinkers and all that.

Im looking for somethnig to handle my weight of 250lbs off road. I was planning on buying a new wr250r  then considered used but the\y're scarce around here,  and still having trouble with the $8800 cdn. after taxes new off the showroom floor. 

just wondering if there are any severe drawbacks to converting this supermoto and if the cost is too high.  (hoping i could have it done with only around $5k invested total)

should i be persuaded just to spend the extra cash and go with a new wr250r or even a new DRZ400S>? is it worthwhile to buy this bike and convert to 75% dirt riding?

thanks in advance for all of your wonderful perspectives.

ive only been riding for a bbout 18 months and want to stick to max400cc low 300lbs bikes and from what i gather these two are the ideal choice.

Edited by ScottCassidy24

HI Everyone,

Thanks for your help in advance.

Im looking at a 2012 DRZ400SM (supermoto) for sale in my area of ontario for about 3000 canadain dollars,   it seems like a really really great deal although 25000kilometers on the bike it looks like its been set up for street only riding.  the seller mentioned aftermarket exhaust and a jet kit and it has decals giving a bit of a race bike look.  it is super clean, hand guards, light kit, led blinkers and all that.

Im looking for somethnig to handle my weight of 250lbs off road. I was planning on buying a new wr250r  then considered used but the\y're scarce around here,  and still having trouble with the $8800 cdn. after taxes new off the showroom floor. 

just wondering if there are any severe drawbacks to converting this supermoto and if the cost is too high.  (hoping i could have it done with only around $5k invested total)

should i be persuaded just to spend the extra cash and go with a new wr250r or even a new DRZ400S>? is it worthwhile to buy this bike and convert to 75% dirt riding?

thanks in advance for all of your wonderful perspectives.

ive only been riding for a bbout 18 months and want to stick to max400cc low 300lbs bikes and from what i gather these two are the ideal choice.

If you go with the DRZ you should look for a low mi. dirt version if your doing mainly dirt. It may be worth your while to drive further to have more bike buying options.

The DRZ is a big heavy pig for dirt riding.  The SM version will have shorter, stiffer suspension that is not the best offroad and I suspect it will be geared higher than a dirtbike.  If you want to ride offroad, buy a proper dirtbike. 

FWIW, supermoto is super fun and you would be surprised just where you can go on those 17" street tires.

I've decided to pass on the supermoto and look at spending a bit more for the wr250r. I just happened to find one used today, about 45 minutes away from me to boot. Thanks for your comments. Let this thread keep going if anybody else has something to add