Buying a used shock spring?

What do you guys think about buying a used shock spring? I found one on flea bay for half price. I could really save a few bucks right now. Way too many expenses lately. I mean all bikes that arent new have used springs anyway, right? Is there any reason I shouldnt buy used? Thanks.

As long as you can identify the rate and confirm the length is correct, it should be fine.

Springs are made based on wire diameter and coils per inch. So based on the markings, you can confirm if it is sacked or still serviceable.

Ill check my manual for a measurement on that. I guess I could stand it beside my oem spring to see if its any shorter. Good call William, didn't think of that. Aren't fork springs more prone to shortening from being strapped down too long?

Ill check my manual for a measurement on that. I guess I could stand it beside my oem spring to see if its any shorter. Good call William, didn't think of that. Aren't fork springs more prone to shortening from being strapped down too long?

Not really. Sacking sometimes just happens due to poor quality spring material and from being over loaded (too much weight). Trucks with too much weight, cars with the trunks filled all the time.

To sack a spring from being tied down, you'd have to have the bike tied down for a few years continuously. Four hours once a week will not do anything. Think about valve springs. Under constant load. All the time. Even bed springs!

A dirt bike in ten years might loose a inch of spring length. If you were 'going pro' you'd be using new springs every few months. Normal people find a spring they like and it stays there forever unless the cheeseburger paradox takes over.

Not all springs are what they are marked and measurements define them as. For most people, the box numbers are close enough. For a few with the ability to tell, they can feel if that spring that is supposed to be 0.1Kg stiffer is, is not or is not. A race team used a tool at applies a set amount of force to the spring and then measures the travel to get the true spring calibration. Manufacturers simply use a wire diameter and coils per inch, occasionally pulling a spring from production to see if it falls within tolerances. If it does, great, if not, they adjust the process and move forward. No telling how many springs were made between re-calibrating were really good.

I'm slightly interested in this so to the OP why do you need the used rear spring and what bike is it for?

There reason I'm asking was when I want to see how my OEM front/rear springs where for my weight etc and I used RaceTechs site to get some info.

This is for me and my bike so this this for you and your bike. There's a lot of info here but look at the rear spring info and not sure what the ebay cost id but $120 seems somewhat  cheap to me.

http://racetech.com/ProductSearch/1/Honda/CRF250R/2005

Hope this helps in some small way

FC recommended I go up to a 6.0 rear for my 16 yz450. Yes, its 120. E bay has the same part # for 50 shipped for a used spring. The way ive been burning through money lately I will gladly ride a used spring and save 70 dollars. As long as it measures correctly it should be as good as new for all practical reasons. My 10 hour 2016 dirtbike is used. I dont think im going pro anytime soon. Lol