Sign in to follow this  

sealing exhaust

Hey guys. Just joined.

I have a cr500 and am putting an fmf gold series knarly pipe on it with fmf silencer.

I have heard to use an o-ring and high temp silicone where pipe plugs on cylinder. Is that true?

And if it is, just a regular rubber o-ring is ok? It doesn't melt or get brittle with the heat?

And what about where silencer and pipe join?

What do u use there?

Thanks for any help.

FMF sells the proper spring and oring kit for their pipes . You could probably get a generic set if it's a significant price difference

Edited by Swes

They are not just regular rubber orings. They are a Viton rubber. Besides getting them from FMF, if you can find the oring dimensions, you may find them in bulk from places like McMaster Carr and Grainger or some other online vendor. If FMF orings still allow a slop fit and blowby, you might find an aftermarket oring with a slightly larger cross section diameter.

I think if the FMF fitment is so sloppy with the head that it requires slathering silicone all over it to seal, that is just unacceptable.

You know, back in the day they had this wonderful stuff called chamber seal, it seals up exaust pipes like no-body's business, I wonder if they still make it....you could use muffler sealant picked up at your local auto-parts store, I use red rtv sealant any time I do a top end, and I really know how to make a pipe glow lol,

They are not just regular rubber orings. They are a Viton rubber. Besides getting them from FMF, if you can find the oring dimensions, you may find them in bulk from places like McMaster Carr and Grainger or some other online vendor. If FMF orings still allow a slop fit and blowby, you might find an aftermarket oring with a slightly larger cross section diameter.

I think if the FMF fitment is so sloppy with the head that it requires slathering silicone all over it to seal, that is just unacceptable.

^ he's right.

What I do is get RTV ultra black and put a light even coat around the o-rings and pipe. Never have any leaks. About 2-3 times a year I use a map gas to itch to burn off the carbon build up, the RTV comes right off with that intense heat.