Sign in to follow this  

2008 KTM XC-F 450 possible problems?

friend picked up a 2008 XC-F 450, will be used for fairly mellow trail riding...

has new piston/rings/cam chain and DJH tensioner.

runs well with no issues other than I thought the idle was a tad high...

have read about them hot burping and water pump seal an shaft issues

along with something about exhaust cam swapping.

what other issues and fixes do owners know of???

thinkin an oil cooler or fan advantageous???

thanks ahead for replies!!!

The DJH tensioner you have that's good

I think there is some issue with the 2008 oil pump . You have to switch to 2010 parts its not so expensive or hard to do

Check the new partsnumber in the link

http://www.partsfish.com/oemparts/a/ktm/524b8d69f8700231ac498bf5/lubricating-system

And check the spring in the oil pump bypass valve  thats its not on the minimum

use the 2010 minimum length not from 2008 because they changed it

Best insurance for not to boil over is to buy a radiator fan on ebay like the one trailtech sell

Its a lot easier and i think better then oil cooler

Edited by skorpan777

Fan is definitely a good idea, especially if it is to be used for mild trail riding.  This bike likes to get lots of air flow through the rads and they aren't particularly happy going slow.  New TrailTech digital setup works well as you don't have to hack into the radiator hose to put in a thermocouple.  If you get a KTM Hardparts fan kit, I've found the one for a two stroke XC/XC-W works the best for install.  Biggest issue you may have with any fan is some of them will not work with IMS fuel tanks if you plan to get a larger tank (or the bike already has one).  There are no issues with Clarke, Acerbis, or Clockwork large tanks for this chassis with any fan kit.

Oil cooler is not needed and is pretty overkill for the engine.

Do check the oil pump as mentioned above.  Some had issues, some didn't, but if there wasn't a problem KTM would not have updated those parts on later models of RF4 engines.  The DJH tensioner is great because it also allows for the block off of the oil supply to the tensioner which pushes more oil up to the head increasing reliability in that area.

Later model RF4s had a different exhaust cam, but that isn't anything that I have found to make any kind of a difference, at least on a 505.  I would put that way down the list of things to spend money on.

I did have issues with the outer water pump seal on mine, but the last seal I had to put in was in 2010.  I do not know if they changed the seal somewhat, or I finally got a good one, but I haven't had an issue in 5 years.  I have never had to mess with the inner pump seal.  I probably don't have any more pump seal problems because I have spare seals in my toolbox.

There really aren't any other major issues with the RF4 engine.  There will always be the outlier here or there, but all in all it is a really good design.  Very easy to work on, very durable.  I have changed the rings twice and the piston once in my 505, and have yet to have to adjust the valves.  I picked my 505 SX-F up in a highly used state (ex-factory KTM race bike) in the fall of 2008, with a freshly prepped top end and have yet to have an issue with it that I would say is out of the ordinary for the abuse I have put the bike through.

i never like bumping a seemingly dead thread, but im bumping this one as i just bought a 2009 450xc-f today with 53hrs on it.

what should i do aside from swapping in 2010 stuff listed above.

mainly just wanting to know when i should replace the piston/rings and when the valves should be adjusted and what not, this is my first KTM, im coming from an XR650R and don't know much about the RF4 engines or anything. seems to be kind of hard to find much info on these things as im not aware of the popular ktm dedicated forums and all that yet.

thanks for y'alls time

(side note: i plan on sumo converting this and trying to street legal it here in Georgia (USA, not the country lol) eventually, but really want to do some enduro work with this thing)

Check the valves now an then every 30 hour  its easy it takes 20 minutes

and change bypass valve spring (chkeck yours the minimum is 38,5mm) and put a manual camchain tensioner or dirttricks tensioner.

The piston,rings and camchain in about the 70-80 hour mark maximum.

then you got a healthy engine-

You could wait to the 100 hour mark but its always a risk with cracks in pistion,rings or carclips(it what hold the piston in place)

You check the valves with a cold engine  in room tempurature 20 degree celsius (this is important to get 100% readings)

you have KTMTALK.com its a good forum

Edited by skorpan777

Check the valves now an then every 30 hour  its easy it takes 20 minutes

and change bypass valve spring (chkeck yours the minimum is 38,5mm) and put a manual camchain tensioner or dirttricks tensioner.

The piston,rings and camchain in about the 70-80 hour mark maximum.

then you got a healthy engine-

You could wait to the 100 hour mark but its always a risk with cracks in pistion,rings or carclips(it what hold the piston in place)

You check the valves with a cold engine  in room tempurature 20 degree celsius (this is important to get 100% readings)

you have KTMTALK.com its a good forum

awesome, thankyou very much for the info, i just joined ktmtalk and ordered the DJH cam chain tensioner. i'll definitely check my valves asap and work on that oil bypass. do you have a part number for the washer to use to shim it

thanks for all the good info!!!

here's how she sits with some needed guards,,, new seat concepts comfort seat and tires...

around 7 hours on top end and valve adj...

will look into the oil bypass spring/washer...

thanks again for all replies!!!

DSCF2783_1.jpg

DSCF2782_1.jpg

you can find the part number here for the spring the washer i dont check ktm talk

http://www.partsfish.com/page/oem-parts-for-ktm

order the 2010 spring because the revised the spring

good luck

theese???(2010 XC-W)

http://www.partsfish.com/oemparts/a/ktm/524b97bcf8700231ac499ea0/lubricating-system

Coil Spring
$2.09

$1.88

Cu-Seal Ring 14X20x1,5 Lc8 02
$2.09

$1.88

Edited by THUMPERRRR

alright so i've got the DJH tensioner ordered along with the two listed part numbers above,

Coil Spring
Cu-Seal Ring 14X20x1,5 Lc8 02

where should i order a good fan kit from for the overheating issue and has anybody had good experiences with the trail tech 100w stator so i can run the fan and lights no prob or would the stock stator be fine.
also going to look into ordering the Shorai lithium battery, running all LED lights and wiring things up a little better on the bike, its got a trail tech vector on it with only the speed hooked up so i'll have to figure out the rest.
Now i've got to do some learning on the Valve adjustment check.

order the new hubs so i can lace them up to my Excel 17's and getting this thing plated here in Georgia, the officer i had run the vin check on it and the DMV chick said there shouldn't be an issue converting the title from the California off highway title to a road legal title here in Georgia as long as i do a proper conversion and have it inspected first.

thanks again guys for all the assistance. hope to be blasting through the tail of the dragon, cherohala skyway and the herrin compound this spring/summer/fall with no issues.

so i just realized the officer that inspected my bike while filling out a T-22B inspection form, checked yes on the box for the vehicle having a NHTSA label... and stating it conforms with FMVSS..

i didnt ask him to nor did i know the officer and he read the entire sticker stating it was for race use only.. he hooked me up, im very happy about that haha.. also the bike came back as not stolen so thats good, hopefully now that he has checked off on it being NHTSA and FMVSS ok it shouldnt be a problem getting this California OHV title switched to a Georgia Street legal title... more back on this later tomorrow hoepfully.

Edited by Talentless176