Sign in to follow this  

KYB factory vs semi-factory clarification

Could someone please clarify to me  (and yes I searched forum) about the difference between factory and semi-factory suspension from KYB? Here in Europe I spoke with a KYB dealer and he said he can provide only semi-factory forks, he was unable to point out the differences between the two. My understanding is that the factory forks are sold to race teams only, but how do they differ? I know people selling used factory forks, are they worth the money? I am talking about oil forks here, not PSF

The difference between the forks your dealer sells and "factory" forks is in the detail, the tolerance, some materials and so on

The factory set are designed to be stripped down and refurbished every Monday and the wear parts are only designed with this in mind, whereas the customer set may go 12 months without being opened

As for buying a used set of "factory" forks, it's a bit like all used bike for sale have just been rebuilt, you can't tell unless you open them, do you have the resources to keep the maintenance up, and the settings are way off for mortals

Better buying the set from your dealer

Factory/A Kit/B Kit/Revalve

Only way you'll get true Factory parts is if you become top 10 in Supercross or Motocross. You can buy A Kit stuff, B Kit stuff and of course get your stock stuff revalved. The biggest difference in performance will be how much time YOU will invest in testing and tuning...

can I recognize factory forks from the outside appearance? As the so called "used factory" and the dealer semi-factory are similar in price I became suspicious the "used factory" might not be what thy advertise it is :)

can I recognize factory forks from the outside appearance? As the so called "used factory" and the dealer semi-factory are similar in price I became suspicious the "used factory" might not be what thy advertise it is :)

The short answer is no...a coating can be put on anything you want. Like mentioned earlier, unless you pull them apart and know what to look for you could easily get the shaft.

Normally they use diifferent axle lugs and top caps on factory stuff and sometimes bigger inner tubes. They use also different  hc adjusters on their factory shocks. Coatings are also slighly different and shock bodies are cnc machined. Every factory and semi factory suspension has number stamped on and if you want to be 100% sure you can call technical touch. Give them that number and then you know is it stolen factory suspension or semi factory suspension. It is very difficult to get KYB or showa factory stuff even it is used. 

Normally they use diifferent axle lugs and top caps on factory stuff and sometimes bigger inner tubes. They use also different hc adjusters on their factory shocks. Coatings are also slighly different and shock bodies are cnc machined. Every factory and semi factory suspension has number stamped on and if you want to be 100% sure you can call technical touch. Give them that number and then you know is it stolen factory suspension or semi factory suspension. It is very difficult to get KYB or showa factory stuff even it is used.

Kyb sell their ex factory stuff but only Europe (technical touch) not USA (technical touch USA) it's refurbished valved and sprung and is the real deal

But

If your not hitting stuff hard get your current stuff redone

Agreed almost no real world riders benefit from semi or full factory or a kit compared to well setup std

• Like 3

The new Akit/factory forks have the triple adjuster too, like the shock (see barcias suspension).

The B-kit is what we can buy too; PSF 1 forks.

any idea on the price for used factory forks in a decent shape?

You have to define what you mean

We have a kits which are around because 250f have to use a "production" fork that can be bought for xXxX$

They are standard type components with extra coatings, care, and some other bling and some good stuff, and they are good but usually overpriced right up to the ama limit I mean they do what they can, but they are also out to make money.

Basically you could build an a kit from a standard fork yourself if so inclined.

Then there's works stuff for the 450 class which can be a scratch design or production based or anything in between.... And probably never for sale used or new.

Must be somehow similar now but in the past it was common thought that special 'top level works / race' components were disposed of (destroyed)

once out of service so that they wouldn't fall into the wrong hands, meaning other competitors or other suspension/bike manufacturers.

Edited by mlatour

The difference between the oem suspension you have and the kit stuff available is ony in your mind and the level of tuning and time to make it good.

Id take production kyb or showa suspension and a full time smart tuner over full works suspension as delivered any day.

Smart tuners can make the parts needed to get the production stuff where it needs to be imho.

• Like 1

almost no real world riders benefit from semi or full factory or a kit compared to well setup std

^^ This^^

any idea on the price for used factory forks in a decent shape?

Depends on the fork but

1500-1800 euro plus clamps and freight ex Belgium

Up to 3000 euro just depends on the fork