Looking to trade the CRF for a DR650 - Just not worth modifying?

I have put several thousand miles on the CRF and it has been flawless, gotten good fuel economy and done the job.  I have outfitted it adventure style with simple racks, rotopax, and bags to carry multi-day trips.  I quick background on me:  25 years in the saddle, former enduro rider, have had at least a dozen bikes from 80cc to 1300cc cruisers.

Two weekends ago I hit the road for my first overnighter and about a 250 mile ride.  I loaded up the CRF and headed out on a windy day.  Here I am, throttle pinned with a head wind and an incline and the little bike refuses to go above 63 mph for a good half mile then she creeps up to a 65-67.  I am no lightweight at 215lbs and was carrying about 80lbs or gear so it puts me right at the bike’s weight limit.  I had to hop on a major interstate with a 75mph speed limit for about 3 miles, I was flat out and being passed like I was standing still.  Not a safe situation when traffic is jockeying about because you are in the way.

Obviously, I can change the front sprocket and do the stage 1 mods for about $800 to help the bike achieve a few more mph in the situation but it would still be all it could do.  Then there is the ‘ole sub-frame breaking threat that looms in my mind.

On the other hand, the CRF is a really neat package for what it is and I do like the bike a whole lot.

I then got a change to check out a 2015 DR650 and wondered why in the heck I got this CRF250L in the first place.  I then remember why I didn’t consider the DR:  Carbed, ugly, dated, tiny fuel tank… 

The DR felt only slightly more heavy but just as nimble and has gobs and gobs of torque.  75 mph was not a whole lot of effort for the bike and the ergonomics are pretty similar to the CRF.  OK, so the DR is carb’ed (but ran great and something I am used to) it looks like something out of 1985, and is oil cooled (actually better for dependability in my mind), but it seems like a no-brainer for me to trade up.  Slap on a big fuel tank, get back in the groove of carbs again and done.

What do you folks think?  Do any of you have a DR650 with experience with both bikes?

• Like 1

I understand and agree with everything you said ....  ?

The CRF250L is a "Dual Sport" bike and to me that means 50/50 street/trail but I do not believe it to be and adventure bike in any sense of the word. I am not saying you can not take an adventure on one but, you most certainly would need to route around any major highways. I have my CRF250L fully modded to the hilt and it is an awesome in town hooligan bike and a very capable off road dirt machine ....   :ride:

When it comes to an "Adventure" bike .... me personally would not want the DR or the KLR 650's and have my eyes on the new CRF1000L Africa Twin. I am kind of at a crossroad as my boy will be turning 15 next fall and I will be 54 so one side of me wants to buy him a WR250R so we can dual sport together but the other side of me wants to travel to Colorado etc ...  so I could put 14/42 sprockets on my CRF and his young butt could handle the adventure rides ... ?  My CRF has the 305 pushing 26 hp so with 14/42's I would think it could cruise 65 to 70 mph no problem. The Africa Twin looks as tho it can handle trails better than most in the adventure category ....   :excuseme:   

Sorry for rambling .... I guess what I am saying is ... it sounds to me like you want/need a light weight "Adventure" bike and maybe you could keep the CRF250L as well ....  :banana:

Honda-africa-twin-crf1000l-adventure-mot

072315-2016-honda-africa-twin-leaked-vid

• Like 2

Yeah, I have been following the CRF1000 as well but a wee out of my financial range at this point.  If I could drop $12k+ on a bike, it may have been a Triumph Tiger.

I am hoping the CRF1000 is a little smaller than the tigers .... they are huge ....  :shocked:   but they are a true adventure bike ...  ?

Optioned_1024.jpg?9c5952

Edited by gnath9

So why a DR and not an XR650L? The XR has better suspension, is red, and has way better aftermarket support.

I did look into that bike and I have sat on one but not ridden it.  It was so tall that I could not touch the ground (I am not a tall guy).  I know that can be fixed.

From what I read, the XR650L does not like extended highway trips due to its engine and cooling configuration but maybe that is a load of bull...don't know but open to the possibility.

Have you considered a cb500x and the off road kit? There is a forum on adv for it.

But that puts him at 10K ....  or more ...  ?   But, I like the thread and the concept ...  ?    http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/rally-raid-products-honda-cb500x.1012021/

but, then again why not just get the Africa Twin ...  ?    Sorry ... I am turning into a fanboy of the CRF1000L ...    ?

25.jpg

Edited by gnath9
  • Like 1

When I come to changing my other bike, it'll be a hard choice between Africa Twin, Kawasaki Versys 1000 or the BMW S1000XR.  It should have been early next year, I think I'd have waited til the AT came out to decide, but..... always a but, my step daughters are potentially Rio Olympics bound ? so Flights, accomadation and tickets to buy completely rules out any purchases on the bike front ?

• Like 1

When I come to changing my other bike, it'll be a hard choice between Africa Twin, Kawasaki Versys 1000 or the BMW S1000XR.  It should have been early next year, I think I'd have waited til the AT came out to decide, but..... always a but, my step daughters are potentially Rio Olympics bound ? so Flights, accomadation and tickets to buy completely rules out any purchases on the bike front ?

When there is a will .......... there is a way .... ?   

I do not really need a new bike ... I just want one !!! ...........  reality may set in and I will just buy my boy a WR250R for his 15th birthday ...  ?

• Like 1

Well, made up my mind.  The little CRF is a great package but just does not have the nuts for my needs.  I put an add in Craigslist to see if anyone wants to make an even trade.  We shall see.

There is a dealership about 2 miles from me with a new 2015 for $5,800 but hate to part with the difference in cash if I can trade even with someone.

I figure to pound out a few years in the saddle on this bike and then trade up for the Africa Twin, BMW 800 or Triumph Tiger for my ride from Texas to British Columbia.

Thank you for the input.

• Like 2

I sold my CRF and bought a DR650. As I mostly ride gravel roads and highways to get there, I found the CRF down on power. It wasn't capable of breaking the rear tire loose on gravel at higher speeds and that's no fun.

The DR needs a bit of work, seat, fix the forks and a bigger gas tank, but all that's available. The pumper carb is expensive, but does transform the bike.

I plan to keep my DR but I am looking to add a more street oriented bike and I think the CB500X with the Rally Raid Kit, or at least the wheels will be a nice setup.

• Like 1

Sorry for going off topic...do athletes have to pay their own way to the Olympics? I would have thought the Ministry of Sports and/or sponsors would have coughed up?