Sign in to follow this  

What about this?

Im on Craigslist everyday in my free time. I found a ktm 200 2t for $600 and me and a buddy are going half and half on it. I am going to keep it at my house because he lives in a gated community. What are your opinions on the bike? Its got a title, all the parts are there the guy is putting them on today

1447778541523.jpg

Don't go "halfsies". It's a dirt bike, not a pizza.

I don't know what to tell you, that picture is garbo.

the guy has a flip phone when i questioned him about the quality. I imagine they wouldnt be too well in quality.

the guy has a flip phone when i questioned him about the quality. I imagine they wouldnt be too well in quality.

No harm in checking it out I suppose. I wouldn't go halfers on a dirtbike. That only leads to problems. I had a 2001 200mxc and it was a good bike.

If you do go, look at the forks/shock to see if they are leaking, check wheel bearings, spokes. Make sure it runs okay. There's lots of info and threads on what to look for if you do a little digging.

No harm in checking it out I suppose. I wouldn't go halfers on a dirtbike. That only leads to problems. I had a 2001 200mxc and it was a good bike.

If you do go, look at the forks/shock to see if they are leaking, check wheel bearings, spokes. Make sure it runs okay. There's lots of info and threads on what to look for if you do a little digging.

the guy said when he gets back from work he will throw the plastics on and i can take it down the road to make sure it goes through all the gears smoothly too.

the guy said when he gets back from work he will throw the plastics on and i can take it down the road to make sure it goes through all the gears smoothly too.

Sounds good. I see you're younger so maybe take your dad as a little extra insurance. Some people are crazy.

• Like 1

Sounds good. I see you're younger so maybe take your dad as a little extra insurance. Some people are crazy.

he will definitely be there. My dad raced ama raves across the country when it was only 2 strokes so he knows a good deal about 2 stroke bikes. (Not to mention hes a big guy too) :huh:

he will definitely be there. My dad raced ama raves across the country when it was only 2 strokes so he knows a good deal about 2 stroke bikes. (Not to mention hes a big guy too) :huh:

Hope everything goes well. I just bought a 2011 KX250f for $1500. Deals are out there if you're patient.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Hope everything goes well. I just bought a 2011 KX250f for $1500. Deals are out there if you're patient. :thumbsup:

unfortunately the deal fell through. i bugged the hell out of the guy to put everything back on but he always responded "I'll do it tonight". im just gonna look for a pre 2005 rm/cr/yz/kx 125 or 250. you know alot about modern bikes. are there any bad years pre 2005 with any of these bikes?

I'd decide 125 or 250 first, then go looking for the best deal and condition. The reason I say this is that the engine size is far more of a determination of the type of power than the brand. A 2002 and up cr 250 has relatively weak bottom end compared to a similar era yz, for example, but it blows away a 125 of any brand the throughout the rev range. Hard to go wrong with the Yamaha for either size but condition would be the biggest factor IMO.

Edited by Wonderspoon
  • Like 1

unfortunately the deal fell through. i bugged the hell out of the guy to put everything back on but he always responded "I'll do it tonight". im just gonna look for a pre 2005 rm/cr/yz/kx 125 or 250. you know alot about modern bikes. are there any bad years pre 2005 with any of these bikes?

Not really, if I was going pre 05 a 2002-2004 yz125 would be my go to. Older RMs had weak transmissions. Hondas had no balls, kawis were okay all around.

You can pm me if you have any questions.