Sign in to follow this  

FCR 39 place of purchase

I'm now in the market for a nice shiny fcr.. So it boils down to this: where do I buy it? I noticed the TT store sells one (of course) for the low low price of $599 and then there's also this place:

http://www.keihin-fcr.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=55

So now can someone tell me why there's a +/-250 difference? What's the reason? From what I understand they're both an MX style. And that's THE one to get, right? Any insight would be very appreciated as I'm trying to wait to put my Yoshimura on as well.

Be sure you get the correct one. I got the MX one without a removeable intake adapter, and it's a pain in the back getting it to fit. 

The TT one is plug and play, others might not be.

I'm now in the market for a nice shiny fcr.. So it boils down to this: where do I buy it? I noticed the TT store sells one (of course) for the low low price of $599 and then there's also this place:

http://www.keihin-fcr.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=55

So now can someone tell me why there's a +/-250 difference? What's the reason? From what I understand they're both an MX style. And that's THE one to get, right? Any insight would be very appreciated as I'm trying to wait to put my Yoshimura on as well.

The reason as far as i am aware, is the one you linked to is pre owned carb and not brand new like the one from the tt store, the website is also not an official site.

There are other places to find em, such as sudco.

I live in the UK and it would of cost £500+ to import the TT carb, luckily i found one in Europe for just under £300 delivered.

• Like 1

The reason as far as i am aware, is the one you linked to is pre owned carb and not brand new like the one from the tt store, the website is also not an official site.

There are other places to find em, such as sudco.

I live in the UK and it would of cost £500+ to import the TT carb, luckily i found one in Europe for just under £300 delivered.

Where in the world did you go to get that deal? Lol

Simple... We don't sell used carbs. Someone asked us a while back so I called the vendor and asked for myself. Not going to say anything good or bad about them. I simply don't know anything other than there is no such thing as a new FCR MX carb for that price unless someone is in to giving parts away. ;)

• Like 2

Where in the world did you go to get that deal? Lol

Ebay.co.uk from a guy in Poland, it even came with an air boot adapter (of sorts, i suspect it is for a yzf 425 but it does work).

EDIT: All of my jets came from Holland, simply because it worked out cheaper to have them delivered from there than to buy them from the UK and that's before postage was included.

Edited by Bassit

Ebay.co.uk from a guy in Poland, it even came with an air boot adapter (of sorts, i suspect it is for a yzf 425 but it does work).

EDIT: All of my jets came from Holland, simply because it worked out cheaper to have them delivered from there than to buy them from the UK and that's before postage was included.

Lol if only I could get those prices in the US...

Simple... We don't sell used carbs. Someone asked us a while back so I called the vendor and asked for myself. Not going to say anything good or bad about them. I simply don't know anything other than there is no such thing as a new FCR MX carb for that price unless someone is in to giving parts away. ;)

Ahh I failed to notice that they were used units. I guess it looks like I'll be buying one from you guys. Can you tell me what jetting I'd need? I'm running the 3x3, Yoshimura, and would then be using the fcr39. This would be at sea level (489ft msl).. I know you have your jetting chart but I've been unable to find if the Yoshimura is under the 96db range on what the chart says.. Any help would be appreciated!

Lol if only I could get those prices in the US...

Ahh I failed to notice that they were used units. I guess it looks like I'll be buying one from you guys. Can you tell me what jetting I'd need? I'm running the 3x3, Yoshimura, and would then be using the fcr39. This would be at sea level (489ft msl).. I know you have your jetting chart but I've been unable to find if the Yoshimura is under the 96db range on what the chart says.. Any help would be appreciated!

By no means am I a jetting guru. Others right here in this forum know more than I. And, I ride an FI bike, so I'm a cheater. ;)

The factory jetted FCR MX is set-up for bikes with an open airbox and performance exhaust from sea level, maybe up to 2k ish (where the vast majority of the population live/ride). So, I'd run it as it comes. However, some buy the JD jetting kit so they have max flexibility for travel (riding different areas) and by season. Not required, just an option to consider. I'd only do the JD kit if you tend to ride a lot of different areas with broader ranges of temps and altitudes. But, some buy the kit regardless as they like the crisp throttle response of the proprietary JD needle tapering. You can't go wrong per se either way, again, something to knock around and decide for yourself.

• Like 1

By no means am I a jetting guru. Others right here in this forum know more than I. And, I ride an FI bike, so I'm a cheater. ;)

The factory jetted FCR MX is set-up for bikes with an open airbox and performance exhaust from sea level, maybe up to 2k ish (where the vast majority of the population live/ride). So, I'd run it as it comes. However, some buy the JD jetting kit so they have max flexibility for travel (riding different areas) and by season. Not required, just an option to consider. I'd only do the JD kit if you tend to ride a lot of different areas with broader ranges of temps and altitudes. But, some buy the kit regardless as they like the crisp throttle response of the proprietary JD needle tapering. You can't go wrong per se either way, again, something to knock around and decide for yourself.

Ahh thanks for the heads up!

You don't need to spend alot of money to properly jet your FCR carb. 

http://www.power-barn.com/keihin-99101-357-xxx-main-jet-fcr-fcr-mx-cr-special-carburetors/

I recently bought the TT fcr 39 kit and with this  jetting 160 main jet, 200 main air jet, 45 pilot jet, 100 pilot air jet, and the EMN needle with the clip in the third slot from the top of the needle. That's what came installed kit I purchased.

I ride at 200 feet above see level and up to 3,000 feet in the mountains of Va. and found that jetting was too rich over the whole range. I was getting terrible fuel mileage somewhere in the low 30's.  It had a bad off idle stumble, the mid range and upper were ok but the motor didn't pull properly  I dropped the main back to a 155 and the pilot back to a 40 and added an adjustable pilot air jet. My 400 runs great, and pulls strong from idle to red line, Last ride out I was getting 46 miles per gallon,  It only cost 20 dollars or so and one time to remove the carb. 

Eric M

• Like 1