Sign in to follow this  

NOOB with a new to me 06 RM-Z450

Hey guys,

I just picked up a 2006 RM-Z450 in a trade.  I'm totally new to dirt bike riding and dirt bikes period.  I've owned and ridden sportbikes and road cruisers for about 10 years now, but I know this is a different animal.  Boy was the test drive fun!! LOL.  I'm going to start off with an oil change first thing.  Anything else I should do right away? I don't know how much riding I'll get in before winter hits hard here in Utah, but I'm hoping to get some dunes and desert riding in soon.  I am also trying to find out what gear is the bare necessity.  I have a helmet, goggles, gloves, jersey and pants that came in the trade.  I am looking into boots, but I am on a pretty tight budget, so looking at these.. https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/712/-/818010/O%27Neal-Racing-Element-Boots-2015-Size-11-Black. Any advice etc is welcome. 

9-MMS-1447119466-attachment1-IMAG0383.jpg

10-MMS-1447119482-attachment1-IMAG0384.jpg

Hey guys,

I just picked up a 2006 RM-Z450 in a trade.  I'm totally new to dirt bike riding and dirt bikes period.  I've owned and ridden sportbikes and road cruisers for about 10 years now, but I know this is a different animal.  Boy was the test drive fun!! LOL.  I'm going to start off with an oil change first thing.  Anything else I should do right away? I don't know how much riding I'll get in before winter hits hard here in Utah, but I'm hoping to get some dunes and desert riding in soon.  I am also trying to find out what gear is the bare necessity.  I have a helmet, goggles, gloves, jersey and pants that came in the trade.  I am looking into boots, but I am on a pretty tight budget, so looking at these.. https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/712/-/818010/O%27Neal-Racing-Element-Boots-2015-Size-11-Black. Any advice etc is welcome. 

I would flush the coolant and replace that as well. No telling how long it has been in there. I would also pull the cam cap and get an idea of the condition of things in there. Make sure there is no major scoring, or anything else that stands out as abnormal. Won't cost you a dime and it will give you an idea of things you should keep an eye on. If the bike is going to sit for a while, drain the fuel and add new. I like to keep the carb dry while storing. 

I would also get a set of knee and shin guards at a minimum. You would be surprised how easy it is to catch a knee on something, including the bike in a crash. You do not want a footpeg shredding your knee or shin. 

What size boots do you wear? I have an older pair of high end TCX boots that I would sell you for the same price. Excellent condition! They are the original TCX pro boots. They will offer a little better protection than those boots you posted. They are a size 12 but fit like a size 11 tennis shoe which is why I can no longer wear them. When it comes to boots and helmets, you get what you pay for and they are not something you want to skimp on. 

Edited by BDubb106

I wear a size 10-10.5 on tennis shoes and such.  I don't know what size exactly I wear in boots.  Sounds like an awesome deal on your boots, but I think they might be a bit big. Where are you located?  Also, BDubb, what coolant do I use in it? Just the regular Green stuff? 

Edited by dwells0803

I wear a size 10-10.5 on tennis shoes and such.  I don't know what size exactly I wear in boots.  Sounds like an awesome deal on your boots, but I think they might be a bit big. Where are you located?  Also, BDubb, what coolant do I use in it? Just the regular Green stuff? 

I use Engine Ice. However any premixed coolant is fine as long as it stays clean and you don't mix. I change mine 2 times a year. I change it once half way through the season and once at the end of the season. 

And yes, those boots will be too big for you. Just thought I would offer. Your best bet would be to go to a dealership and try as many different brands on as you can. Every brand has a little different fitment. I wear an 11 in some boots and a 12 in others. Unfortunately I am in Ohio. 

I use Engine Ice. However any premixed coolant is fine as long as it stays clean and you don't mix. I change mine 2 times a year. I change it once half way through the season and once at the end of the season. 

And yes, those boots will be too big for you. Just thought I would offer. Your best bet would be to go to a dealership and try as many different brands on as you can. Every brand has a little different fitment. I wear an 11 in some boots and a 12 in others. Unfortunately I am in Ohio. 

Great. Thanks for your help. I used to run Engine Ice in my sportbikes.  Good stuff. 

• Like 1

2006 still has the manual cam chain tension adjuster. Stay on top of this one!!!! They didn't go to an automatic until 2007.

I prefer the manual tensioner for obvious reasons! First thing I took off my bike was that garbage auto tensioner. I have seen what happens when those things fail. 

Edited by BDubb106

Dwells, I would also change the brake fluid and check/re-grease all bearings in steering head, swing arm, wheels, and suspension linkage. Measure you're drive chain to see if it is within tolerance as well. Check your spokes while you are at it; most used bikes I have bought have loose/seized spokes.