Sign in to follow this  

Stage 3 cam

Anybody run motocross with a 13.5:1 piston and stage 3 cam? From the dyno sheets I'm seeing, the only difference is lots more top end and over rev. Anyone try it?

Anybody run motocross with a 13.5:1 piston and stage 3 cam? From the dyno sheets I'm seeing, the only difference is lots more top end and over rev. Anyone try it?

I have this set up before I did my rebuild.  

I dropped down to a 12:9 piston on the rebuild but I have not ridden it yet.

Also, I didn't ride it stock before this set up so I guess I'm not much help to tell you what it did over stock.

I never had flameouts,  I know that.  It runs very strong to me from bottom to top

higher comp piston will give you a bit more off the bottom as well

I use a JE 13.5:1 piston. Have a megabomb/powercore exhaust system as well. Only 100 hours on bottom end, but with the stage 3 and same 13.5:1 as I use currently it may have less top end pressure anyhow.

I have this set up before I did my rebuild.

I dropped down to a 12:9 piston on the rebuild but I have not ridden it yet.

Also, I didn't ride it stock before this set up so I guess I'm not much help to tell you what it did over stock.

I never had flameouts, I know that. It runs very strong to me from bottom to top

with the oem cam it seems to be OK on the bottom, healthy mid but doesn't rev out far. Did you ever feel underpowered in corners...specifically sand corners?

with the oem cam it seems to be OK on the bottom, healthy mid but doesn't rev out far. Did you ever feel underpowered in corners...specifically sand corners?

definitely no lack of low end power on mine, but again I'm not the right person to ask because I never rode a stock 450, I just bought this in the spring and came from 2 strokes

definitely no lack of low end power on mine, but again I'm not the right person to ask because I never rode a stock 450, I just bought this in the spring and came from 2 strokes

any idea if its a stock piston or high comp?

any idea if its a stock piston or high comp?

it was a 13:5 JE with a stage 3 

it was a 13:5 JE with a stage 3

have you had any other 450s to compare it to? Maybe it felt less snappy but rev out really well? I have rode all the 16s now, ktm and Yamaha have the snappiest bottom ever and I don't like that. It's a lot to control in turns, especially hard pack. I like a very mellow bottom that will start pulling hard but metered and I don't want it to sign off. That's what I was hoping to get with the stage 3. As is, I have a decent bottom, then the midrange surges well then it just sort of makes noise. I want it to keep pulling and not get anymore bottom then I have or not much more anyway.

I think it will get you what you want, but I think the Ron Hamp cam is a better option.  Thats what I would buy. 

Search the forum for RHC cam

If I remember right the rhc cam adds bottom and top. I have a hot cams stage 2 in mine because I wanted alittle less bottom and more topend. Id get a stage 3 if I were you.