Sign in to follow this  

A-Kit Forks for RMZ450 AND RM250 ?

I recently picked up a set of Showa A-Kit forks for my 2015 RMZ450, with the idea being to fit them to my 2008 RM250 2 stroke as well.

My question is... is it possible to have 1 set of forks that will work relatively well on both an RMZ450 and an RM250?

I'm 195lbs/88.5kg kitted and the forks are fitted with 0.48 rate springs. I've rode with them on the RMZ and they feel good, slightly stiff but in a good way.

To get them to fit the RM250 i'm going to need to bore out the lower clamps and use the RMZ front end with the forks. 

Should I go ahead with this, or will I be wasting my time? Race Tech recommends 0.44 springs in my RM250, so will the A-Kits with 0.48's shake my brains out, or could I wind the compression out and be able to get away with it?

If anyone has done something similar, or is suspension savvy and can provide some advice then that would be sweet!

I'm 185-190#, and I run .48's on my RM250 with just a little lower oil height.  I had to bump up the fork springrate when I moved the rear axle back because it would collapse badly on really steep sandy downhills.  This is for offroad with a 3G tank up front and gear on.  It would probably be a tad stiff for the 2-stroke for MX but I wouldn't hesitate to ride it.  Rather too stiff than too soft.

If it's stiff on the rmz it will be horrible on the rm

• Like 1

mog has it right.

You have to change the spring rate AT LEAST! With proper springs, it will be rideable but still stiff if its customed to a rmz450...

mog has it right.

You have to change the spring rate AT LEAST! With proper springs, it will be rideable but still stiff if its customed to a rmz450...

Thanks for advice.

What spring rate would you recommend? 0.46?

Would different springs and possibly a re-valve then make the forks too soft for the RMZ?

For info the forks are currently set for a 13 stone expert on an RMZ250

Thanks for advice.

What spring rate would you recommend? 0.46?

Would different springs and possibly a re-valve then make the forks too soft for the RMZ?

For info the forks are currently set for a 13 stone expert on an RMZ250

Yes, it is the same the other way around too...

For the RM, 0,46 kg/mm sounds right, yes!